Cat with crusty ears?

vek555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5-year-old Bengal cat has crusty ears. It's on the edges but mostly on the inside, not deep inside but around the inner fringes of the ears. They are yellowish-looking scabs - it's hard to tell if she made them from scratching or if they just grew there from whatever the infection is. I don't see her scratching very much at all, although she shakes her head vigorously from time to time. Her ears are very red but not bleeding. The vet thought it might be a fungus so he perscribed Entederm and Clavinox. The clavinox made her throw up a few times and I treated for 11 days. I used the entederm ointment all over her ears twice a day for two weeks, which helped immensely (the vet cleared off the scabs before all the treatment). He also did a culture, but found no fungus. Three weeks after I stopped treatment, it's back now in full force. Any ideas? I'm going to try a different vet as well.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would ask the vet to do a culture of the scabs to see what's going on.  He can also request a sensitivity test to find out which medication will most effectively treat it.