cat with broken jaw.

mynamewastaken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will start this by saying this:
My cat is at the vet. She has been there since wednesday night. She will have whatever medical care she needs. I am just asking because I'm curious and receiving different answers.

My cat got out of the house and broke her jaw. We don't know what happened and there aren't other injuries.
She could have been hit by a car or she could have been kicked I guess.

One vet said that she could heal on her own and another vet said she requires surgery.
I've never heard of a broken jaw healing on it's own. How is this possible?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A common cause of jaw damage on a cat is jumping or falling from a height onto a hard surface. Falling or jumping from a tree onto a sidewalk would be a good example.

Can't say about the healing, myself.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If allowed to heal on it's own, there is a huge chance he will not heal properly lined and will surely make his life/eating very difficult and painful.

Please have the proper surgery done. Good to know he is being cared for and loved :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mynamewastaken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh there is no question about whether she receives the surgery or not. It has actually been done as of this afternoon.
Just curious whether that was true.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a girl one of our cats had a broken jaw, we suspect from sleeping in a car engine. She had surgery and her jaw was wired shut, she was on a liquid diet for many weeks. In the end she recovered.

Good luck to your beloved girl. You might want to think about keeping her inside now.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll probably never figure out exactly what happened but I'm glad you went ahead with the surgery. I don't know about the healing process but I don't see how it would heal back to it's normal state without some kind of help. I read Otto's response and I have heard this as well. I remember a friend had a senior cat that fell off her cat tree onto a marble floor and broke her jaw. Surgery was done and it seemed like a lengthy recovery process but the cat did recover. The cat tree was immediately replaced by one much closer to the ground and put in front of a French door.