Cat with brain injury help please

feralrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I live in a rather remote part of Maine. We had a cat show up in our back yard at the end of October starving, limping, and pretty beat up.

We took her in, fed her and let her get used to us for a few hours before really looking her over. Long and short of everything is she had a broken rib (badly healed when we got her so left a bump on side), crushed back left foot (again healed badly), and a lot of fresh puncture wounds on her neck and head. Because of the fight with whatever animal that mauled her neck and head, she suffered a brain injury (rather apparent with one eye that wanders slightly and pupil dilates differently). Over time she has been a lot better. She's more coordinated and active, her balance is a lot better, and her pupils most days track the same.

She's sharp as a tack, figured out how to open closets, curious, learns quickly, things like that. Her 'reasoning' seems fine.

But we're having a problem with some... best way to describe it is OCD type behavior.

She bites cardboard and papers then spits them out. Repetitively. Usually when she's stressed or has a disruption in her routine. For example, she hates the hairball medicine we give her. She came into the house with a full winter coat and undercoat and is now shedding heavy causing a lot of problems for her. When I give her the medicine, she has to chew on a box. Then she has to knead regardless of what we're doing, which isn't a big deal because one of us is always up, but its the intensity. Another stressed type of behavior is digging in her litter box for long stretches of time.

I understand because of the injuries she had some of this might be permanent (brain injuries and OCD behavior generally linked in humans so assume same for any animal) but I was wondering if there was a way to minimize this? Also, Is there a way to stop some of this behavior without further traumatizing her or stressing her out. I don't want to use spray bottles, rolled up newspapers, or anything perceived as an 'attack' due to the amount of injuries she had making her very reclusive and skittish.

I forgot to mention the kitten is now about 9-10 months old, she found us at about 6 months old.

laiste

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have first hand experience of this exact situation but when my boyfriend moved to a new flat about a year ago, at the same time as his work shifts became a bit disrupted, his cat became very distressed and started displaying OCD type behaviour. In Bateman's case he would bite at his own back and shred paper obsessively, along with the excessive litter digging and inappropriate chewing on cardboard, rugs, etc similar to what you describe.

In this case it just took time and patience to let him resettle and calm down. He is by and large a very relaxed cat though and is NOT brain injured as with your kitty. Robert spent a lot of quiet time with Bateman soothing and grooming him (which allowed the bites on his back to be treated as obviously those could not be left alone) and I popped round whenever I was able to when I knew Robert was working a strange shift and Bateman would be home alone unexpectedly.

If your cat isn't hurting herself or any household members I would be inclined to say not to worry too much about it and accept that she might always be a bit odd in that regards. I don't think a "punishment" would help because, as you say, it might make her more nervous and reinforce her behaviours.

It must be upsetting to see though so I do hope she does calm over time, and maybe someone more experienced in this area can give you more proactive advice I'mnot thinking of

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewing paper and cardboard and excessive digging in the litter box are both perfectly normal cat behaviors.

Tolly goes through a box a month chewing and spitting out, and I find shredded paper around the house all the time. (Tolly,Mazy and Queen Eva all indulge in this habit)

Jennie spends at least five minutes digging and scratching in the litter.
Ootay
was even more into it, not only scratching the litter but the walls and floor and newspapers around the litter too.

INtense kneading is also not unusual, especially for a kitten.

Hurray for you for rescuing that cat, what she must have been through, it sounds like she Chose well and you love her very much. But the things worrying you are normal cat things.

Welcome to TCS, we'd love to see a picture of her!

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of the things you describe are normal behavior for many cats. This cat has been through H**l, it will take time to totally trust and she may always have things that are bit different. To reprimand her in any way would just make her mistrust you. Heck mine dig like they are heading to China and there is not a piece of plastic on earth that is safe
. As for kneading, I only wish mine would, that is a sign of content most often. Thank you for taking her in, now just sit back and laugh at her little differences, and let her be who she is.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS I just snapped this pic of Mazy cat. She was busy shredding a paper towel she stole from the counter. Of course she stopped as soon as I pointed the camera at her, but I post it to illustrate that is is just a normal thing for cats to do.

Mazy holds the paper down with her paw and shreds.

Tolly sits up on his hind feet and holds the paper in both paws, squirrel like, and shreds.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're just dealing with a slightly traumatized, easily stressed cat.

What did the vet say about her eyes? It's possible for the optic nerves to have some damage but the brain to be fine.

Honestly, I'd leave her to her habits if they calm her. Taking them away may have negative side effects, like causing her to over groom herself or pee out of the litter box.
You can however try positive ways to distract her. With toys, games, and treats.

Most cats aren't terribly fond of hairball remedy. You can try regularly giving her unsalted butter if the hairballs aren't too extreme. I haven't found a cat yet that dislikes butter.

Otherwise you have to take care of the fur shedding issues with proper grooming tools (like a furminator) - is she ok with being brushed? and maybe by diet change if they get bad.

Do you have any feliway diffusers for your home? Have you tried bach's rescue remedy in her water? Do you make sure she has a nice somewhat intense play session daily? Do you try to keep the activities in the home fairly routine?
All can help control stress in a cat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is what they like to do to cardboard boxes:

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^I have a couple that do that, too. Especially Tanna - who doesn't spit all of the cardboard pieces out. I have to make sure to use firmer cardboard boxes for them to prevent her shredding.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple who shred paper and cardbosrd like their lives depend on it. Dushka does it whenever she wants my attention and she knows that the sound of ripping paper coming from the direction of my desk is a surefire way of making me get up in the morning! And kneading you is a sign of contnement and making you 'hers'. There are far worse habits a cat could have. It sounds as though this cat has settled in well with you and is recovering well from all the traumas.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking in and rescuing this poor baby cat, and giving her a loving home. You are a wonderful person!

She's still a kitten, and therefore will display a lot of bizarre and annoying behaviors until she is grown up - say about 6 months from now or so. Please be patient, keep things away from her that you don't want her into, and keep on keeping on.

I had a cat who shredded the toilet paper all his life. I learned to keep the bathroom doors shut. I did this about 20 years and just recently stopped when I put a cat bed by the heat vent in the main floor bathroom. Shutting the bathroom doors all the time just became a habit. The cat who did this passed on about 4.5 years ago, but I just got retrained.

Even sillier, my mother, who is allergic to cats though she lived with them for many years, dealt with it partly by keeping her bedroom door shut, so keeping the cats out of there. She still does this, even though she hasn't lived with a cat in over 15 years!

We'd love to see pictures of her! She may get better, as far as her brain injuries, in time. It's amazing how things can improve over time.

Robin

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kittens love to chew on thick cardboard boxes, it soothes their gums and teeth during the teething stages. Totally normal behavior.

You were wonderful to take her in and save her. What horrible injuries and I commend you for getting her healthy. She obviously had a rough start and is probably still adjusting.

crazycalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got one that has been known to destroy an entire roll of toilet paper in a few hours....in multiple sittings when I'm not nearby. The litter box is in there so I can't close the door. I've constructed a tin flap that goes over top of part of the roll. The paper shredding is normal (but can be annoying). Our other cat digs in the litter like crazy. I wouldn't worry about any of that.
I think its wonderful you have taken her in. She might eventually mellow out and be less stressed, but it'll take time, she obviously had a hard time before she got lucky and met you!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you taken her to the vet, had them look at her eye?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

Have you taken her to the vet, had them look at her eye?
Yes, I realized my post was getting lengthy and left out the mundane steps. In this area with the yearly rabies postings, vet care after an animal mauling is a no-brainer

Basically, the vet believed a fisher may have got a hold of her and shook her around a bit. The puncture wounds on neck and head make it seem that way. The only other predator we have running around that preys on small animals is coyotes which is what I thought it was, but she didn't believe so.

She does has some depth perception problems which translates into extra caution jumping onto and off furniture and other surfaces. She also has mild to moderate FHS (Feline Hyperesthesia). Both were a lot worse when she first found us, but have improved a lot over time.

The earlier injuries were possibly a large animal (cow, moose, horse, deer, all of which are raised in neighboring fields or a very common sight) kick or trample that didn't get medical attention.

Thank you for all the kind comments but really, we think we are lucky. This cat has to be the best thing that has ever happened to my husband and I. From the start we have both marveled that this kitten/cat who's been through so much is still the most loving creature. It's very humbling. I'll upload a picture soon as I figure out how.

----------------------

Thank you everyone for also resting my mind about the behavior she had. I've had cats before, one for almost 20 years and another for close to 16 (I'm a fairly old lady *smile*), both rescues. Neither ever had any of this behavior so I had thought it was a small symptom of FHS. It does make me feel better knowing it is normal behavior.

We have a large heavily reinforced cardboard box that held an 80lb air conditioner at one point, so it is quite strong and thick. We upturned it, made the sides smaller, and put it in her play area. We figured if she had something in her area she could chew on she might not chew on the items on our desks. So far, it's been working and she doesn't shred it as fast as she has some other boxes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted some pictures in the picture forum of Baihu (finally named) for those of you who requested pictures. I also wanted to say I am so glad I found this site. It is so informative and everyone seems so kind.