Cat With 10 Kittens. Help!

Love for Animals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I have a foster cat who gave birth to 7 kittens June 9. They are all doing well. I have weighed them everyday since and they are gaining about .5 oz a day. However 3 other kittens about the same age, under fed and much smaller then the 7 kittens mom has, were brought to the shelter and my foster cat has taken to them. So now she is looking after 10 kittens. The 3 kittens came into the picture four days ago. So the 7 kittens she had are gaining less weight and a few lost about .1 of an oz today. The 3 kittens are doing alright. They all have gained one lost .2 oz today for some reason. But I am supplementing the three kittens with formula. I have bottle fed kittens before so I am not really worried about that part. I am wondering if anyone knows how to increase milk production in cats? Or if maybe I should seperate the kittens into 2 litters and monitor feeding times? Or take the three kittens away during the day and feed them and help them potty myself and return them to mom for night time? I know this will work out I am just a bit unsure about which course of action would be better for both the kittens and mom. I really don't want to stress mom out.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean June or July 9th?

If June, they are definitely old enough for solids to be introduced.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes do rotate them.
What kmr are you using for supplement?
Can you get raw goats milk?

Help some with stimulatiom
so momma wont need to eat up poo after 10...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Love for Animals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Talkingpeanut. I apologize. The kittens were born JULY 9. I keep mixing up the months. The other 3 kittens are about the same age as well. The shelter is unsure exactly how old. Our foster cat has kittens closest in age to the 3 they gave us so they wanted to see if out foster would except them and she did. We have been taking the three extra kittens and feeding them ourselves during the day. It seems to be working, but none of them are gaining the recommended amount. They are on average gaining about .2 oz instead of .5 and I am unsure if there is a way to increase.

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you supplement all of the kittens? Maybe they aren't getting enough milk, even 7 is a lot.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
0.2 isnt bad but 0.3+ isbetter

Have a little glucose sugar (white caro syrup) in the kmr.
Gives some extra calories.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Take the 3 away and feed them yourself during the day.

You can still separate the 7 into two groups - the 4 largest and 3 smallest - and rotate them with mom every 2 hours.

The ones not with mom must be kept warm when away from her.

Help mom by wiping bottoms a few times a day with a warm damp cloth.

Supplement any kittens who do not gain or have lost weight on any given day.

Feed mom as much as she wants. She needs dry kitten chow 24/7 and tons of wet food.

L Love for Animals