Cat Will Not Come Into His Home!

KirstyF

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Persian cat Shackleton who is five years old will not come into my home. Its like he has seen a ghost. He is totally freaked out and no matter what I do does not want to be in the house. He has been like this for two weeks. His brother another Persian cat Riddick and the one that I would have thought is more sensitive is not bothered at all. Nothing has changed at home, the routine is exactly the same but for some reason my boy is petrified. I bought some F10 from the vet to neutralize and smells and he is still refusing to come into his home. He is so stressed and his behavior is so out of character and I actually don't know what to do. I am sure he picks up that I too am stressed out. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

Mummycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did your neighbours get a new cat/pet? Could be the reason why yours want to stay away with his keen sense of smell.

Could also be a dead creature/rodent somewhere in the house.

Or perhaps he found a new love interest down the road. And would rather be outside so he can get to his love quickly.

Whatever it is, don't freak out coz you'll make things worse. Make sure he has shelter and sufficient food and water. Once he has set up camp somewhere near the house, move the food and water closer to the door, little by little. Eventually, move them into the house while ensuring he has a way in to get to the food (cat door or open window). All the best.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are going through this. Now please give yourself a moment and just breathe. Cats do sense our stress. I know how stressful it is when your cat does not want to come home and is acting scared of you. I had a cat that got out years ago that I had to trap because she was to scared to come near us. We knew where she was hiding but she kept running away from us when she would see us. You may need to see if you can locate a trap to get your baby back indoors. I rented a trap from my local animal control. I have seen other people mention renting them from a local Humane Society. You can also buy them at some pet stores. This maybe something to try if your baby keeps running away from you. If you decide to go this route look over the caring for strays and ferals forum as there is a lot of advice over there about trapping.