Cat wih SEVERE allergies....Help please

CourtMorrow96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am at the my wits end.

My cat is now about 14 months old. After he got neurtered (6 months) he started with the constant scratching on his head and neck. My vet told me is it probably food allergies. He started on Hill D/D, then Hills Z/D and now on prescription food from Royal Canine. He scratches to a point that he has sores all over his neck and head. So bad sometimes they will bleed. I take him to the vet about 2-3 times a month where he will receive 3 shots: Allergy, antibiotic and steroid. Nothing help with the presciption food so I took him to an animal allergist. They found nothing wrong with him and also said it is probably food allergies and it could take awhile until I find the right formula. Well a couple months later I had him tested for allergies. Indoor and outdoor panel. He is allergic to about 25 different things THe indoor showed that he is highly allergic to cat dander and dust, chicken, pork. (so he is a cat allergic to himself...makes no sense!!!) He is midly allergic to other things too. I give him his allergy shots as precribed. The shots have been going on for almost 2 months and I see no improvement. A week ago he had scratched his head so bad he delevoped an infection in his skin. The infection also went into his eye. It was the weekend so I took him to the animal hospital. He is fine now with the steroid shot and antibiotics. I am completely lost and frustrated. My vet has an excellent reputation and pretty much said he has the worst allergies he has seen ever. I have spent thousands of dollars on him and he is only 14 months old. I have tried bathing him for the allergy to cat dander but he clawes the heck out of me. I have 2 air purifiers for the dust allergy. He had a blood test and all his organs are within normal range. Negative for feline FIV and Leukemia. He does not have mites. He is on flea control although he never goes outside. Do anyone have any suggestions???? I don't know what else I can possibly do.

I have heard of raw food diet but I seriously doubt it will make that much of a difference.
hi

CourtMorrow96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Jennifer,
I understand your post was nearly 9 years ago but I’m hoping to ask you some advice. I read your post and cried as it is literally what I am currently going through with my cat at the moment. I rescued Margot 6 months ago and when she came to me she had no fur on her neck or her face. In her last home she was left to scratch herself and quite literally self harm to the point where her body was dripping with blood. She has since seen 9 vets in England and Ireland and although we’ve seen a little bit of progress with her fur re-growth, she has had to wear a head collar for nearly 7 months now which is really affecting her mental health. She has had a few bad flare ups where I feel like we just go back to square one again with her condition and my heart just breaks for her. At the moment we have been advised that the best route is to stick with steroids and a long term medication called cyclosporine to manage her condition but I know these will have life-shortening effects and I can’t bare it. I hope you get to see this message,
Courtney

Attachments