Cat Whining

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Newly here, so happy I found this site! I have 3 boys about the same age 3 and all neutered. Our 3rd boy joined us this past February. Showed up at our back door and we fed him for a couple weeks. He was super friendly and we advertised his finding, called animal control, the shelter, put him on the lost pet page and had him checked for chip. Anyway he was a tuxedo cat like my other boys so seemed meant to be ours and we kept him. He had already been neutered. He has been a great cat and fit right in. All of our cats are strict indoor only cats. We went on vacation for 4 days first week in Aug. my neighbor took care of the cats. Since we have been back he is constantly whining, scratching at the back door and just pitiful. He has never done this before. A couple factors in play...
I keep a feliway plug in in the family room area and that did run dry while we were gone. I replaced it.
Also: we have 3 semiferal not spayed yet 5 month old kittens in my bedroom BUT they have been there since The end of June. They are getting Spayed sept 5th and don’t act like they are in heat. Plus he doesn’t cry at my bedroom door just occasionally sniffs there as my other 2 boys do as well or plays the touch paw games under the door.
Finally: I am still feeding The ferals mom out back but have been since before we got him. She comes and eats but does t hang around otherwise. And yes trying to trap her and get her fixed. I trapped her babies that we have now.

So can a neutered cat sense a cat in heat? And will that make him want out? Is it the hormone shift In general with the 3 girls in my bedroom? I would think if that was the case he would be spending all his time at my bedroom door and he doesn’t.

Sorry this turned out to be so long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Newly here, so happy I found this site! I have 3 boys about the same age 3 and all neutered. Our 3rd boy joined us this past February. Showed up at our back door and we fed him for a couple weeks. He was super friendly and we advertised his finding, called animal control, the shelter, put him on the lost pet page and had him checked for chip. Anyway he was a tuxedo cat like my other boys so seemed meant to be ours and we kept him. He had already been neutered. He has been a great cat and fit right in. All of our cats are strict indoor only cats. We went on vacation for 4 days first week in Aug. my neighbor took care of the cats. Since we have been back he is constantly whining, scratching at the back door and just pitiful. He has never done this before. A couple factors in play...
I keep a feliway plug in in the family room area and that did run dry while we were gone. I replaced it.
Also: we have 3 semiferal not spayed yet 5 month old kittens in my bedroom BUT they have been there since The end of June. They are getting Spayed sept 5th and don’t act like they are in heat. Plus he doesn’t cry at my bedroom door just occasionally sniffs there as my other 2 boys do as well or plays the touch paw games under the door.
Finally: I am still feeding The ferals mom out back but have been since before we got him. She comes and eats but does t hang around otherwise. And yes trying to trap her and get her fixed. I trapped her babies that we have now.

So can a neutered cat sense a cat in heat? And will that make him want out? Is it the hormone shift In general with the 3 girls in my bedroom? I would think if that was the case he would be spending all his time at my bedroom door and he doesn’t.

Sorry this turned out to be so long.

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he saw a bird. Pretty normal to want to go out if he was formerly an indoor/outdoor cat. As is often the case with cats, the search for deeper meaning may remain elusive because cats do weird stuff :dizzycat:

Super weird/lucky that a lost tuxedo cat found its way to you.