Cat wheezing but not during physical activity?

meametz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello TCS, 

I'm rather new in here and in cat ownership (partnership?). I have a black kitten (still no name :/) of 3,5 months old as of today and since i wanted to be a good partner, i've been reading and researching about a lot of stuff from the day i got her. Hence i figured out how useful this site was. 

Here's my problem: i have my kitten since about 7 weeks. She started wheezing occasionally a few weeks ago. At first i didn't mind since i thought she was trying to get our attention or something along those lines. Then i started thinking that it might be respiratory problems since i'm a smoker (unfortunately). I read about this from different sources and all seem to conclude that it's either a respiratory problem, viruses or furballs. I just played a really fast paced chase the earphone game with her to see if she'd wheeze but not a sound so i am a bit perplexed. I will go to the vet to rule out parasites but is it possible for a kitten to do that kinda stuff just as a character trait or something like that? Does it have to be a health issue? 

I would really appreciate if you guys give opinions. 

Thank you in advance =)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!  
   I'm sorry you haven't gotten an answer before now!  First, congratulations on your little girl, who is adorable, if that's her in your avatar.  One of these days she will let you know her name, hopefully before you take her to the vet!

I have never heard of a cat wheezing for any reasons other than health related but that doesn't mean there isn't a cat out there who does it.  Taking her to the vet is definitely the right thing to do, sooner rather than later.  Wheezing can be caused by asthma and since you smoke, she could be allergic to the smoke.  It's probably worth getting an air purifier anyway - it doesn't have to be the smoke that's causing it.  My cat had asthma that was brought on when we moved to an apartment with very dusty vents and cheap outgassing carpets.  

It's a good sign that she didn't wheeze while racing around since cats with low exercise intolerance sometimes have heart issues.  Still, she should go to the vet sooner, rather than later.  The vet will probably want to run blood work and perform a chest x-ray.  This would be a good time to discuss spaying her in the next couple of months since she will be going into heat soon, and that is no fun for anyone, including her!  Please let us know what the vet says - I hope it is a minor issue.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meametz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Margd, 

I'm awfully sorry for my late reply but i'd been travelling and unable to write a proper one. 

As to the name, although it sounds pretentious, my and my girlfriend are thinking Medea from the Ancient Greek character. We are two linguists so we could not go with sth like blacky :D 

I had some more time to examine her behaviour by now and she does that sound typically when she's in playing mode; especially when she's bursting for something. Also, it sounds more like a petit grunt to me these days. I will make sure to get that chest examined by her vet though. 

About the spaying... Isn't it kinda bad to do it before she's 1 year old? For her bones? She's not in the zone yet but if it's better for her, we will try to weather the storm. 

Anyway, i really appreciate you replying my solitary first post. 

Cheers =)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Medea is a nice dignified name for her.
As for the spaying, no I don't think that's true about affecting bone development. I know that for certain large breeds of dogs that you need to delay neutering, and if you want a male cat with the classic "tom cat" features. But normally the sooner you spay the better. They recover more quickly when young, and they don't have the stress of going through a heat cycle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meametz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you =)

I will double-check with the spaying and do the best thing for her but i know from a friend that the heat cycle can be real hard for both sides of the relationship =)