Cat wheel

rez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made a cat wheel. 4 foot diameter steel framed wheel, spinning on a real trailer axle hub, on a heavy tube steel frame with adjustable coaster feet. The tread is probably a foot wide and made from 1/8 thick plastic. It's a fairly awesome thing if I do say myself.

However...

The cat doesn't feel the same way. He has never used it. I cannot make him use it. He would totter around on the top of a TV tray for an hour, but when that wheel moves... He's gone!

I want to sell it.

Interested?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby is in the process of building one for our cats (wooden one). Nial who owns Bengals has great success with his cats using them all the time.

I think the trick is to entice them to get on the wheel with treats, and use a feather, other toy on a stick, or laser light to get them to start walking on it. How are you trying to get your cat to use it?

BTW our Ocicat loves to play "swing" in the blankets with us holding on to each side and rocking him - so I'm sure he will take to the wheel when its done.

Have you watched some of the utube videos on cats using them? Does the wheel have a carpet runner? You mention only steel and plastic. Do you have a picture of it so we can see what the problem might be?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think if he was an Ocicat or a Bengal he would be all over it. But he's a Maine Coon and I'm afraid he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I've coaxed him with food and toys. I've tried all kinds of things. He isn't really afraid of it. He just doesn't want anything to do with it. I've seen him jump through the wheel on many occasions on his way to wherever he was going. He won't touch it deliberately though, and he will not tolerate it moving under him, let alone rotating.

I admit, I have given up and the thing languishes out in the garage.

I watched all the videos back in the day. It's what made me build one.

Visions of sugar plums dancing in my head...

Didn't work out like I imagined.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mean to be the party pooper here, but I also have a maine coon and he won't get on that wheel for all the cat-nip in China. He just isn't going to do it and if I place him on the wheel he gets down instantly and runs away.

Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that their are probably only a few breeds of cats that will use the wheel. Very active breeds like, bengals, abby's, singapuras and oci's.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting Nial - I had forgotten you have a longie
You would have thought that he would try it by watching the others.

Well Rez....looks like you have no choice then..........you either have to get yourself an Ocicat or a Bengal
So which one will be your next cat?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people have said that their moggies will use a cat wheel, too, so I think it's active cats and not just the default active breeds themselves.

If I could ever coax my DH into attempting to build one I have one DSH in the house that I know would be game for it. He does anything momma wants him, too. (he sounds like he's calling me momma when he meows at me...)
If he used it there's two other (copy) cats in the house that would try it.
And Sherman would be like the goofy confused hamsters that try to run on top of their wheels... (an active cat with no sense)