Cat went into culvert and can't get him out

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He was skittish as soon as i brought him over so yeah im worried i traumatized him. 10 pm and still no sign of him!! Im hoping he comes back in the middle of the night 😭. I feel like such a bad cat daddy!
Not a bad cat daddy UNLESS you don't learn from this...... just use this as a lesson..and improve...no harm in that...being skittish i seriously doubt he has the gull to explore very far..he will come back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
730 am and no sign of him 😭 we have walked around the neighborhood and no sign. What should i do!?

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we have drove around the neighborhood about 6 times looking for him with no luck.
I have notified my neighbors about his disappearance and to keep a lookout for him.

I am keeping his litterbox outside along with his bed, some wet food, some dry food, and my worn clothes.

I checked all around our house to see if he was hanging out underneath anything.

I keep trying to look in the culver and call him and hear if he is in there...but I dont hear anything. I am wondering...do you think he would still be in that culver? Should I try and scare him out of there with a loud noise or something? Or do you think he wandered off?

Ugh....I hate this feeling of hopelessness! It is supposed to rain here soon so I don't want him to be trapped in that culver when it starts raining! Hopefully he is smart and resourceful enough to get out of there.

ughhhhhhh :(

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that it is very, very difficult but try to keep worry and panic out of your voice. He is not a tiny kitten so is much more able to care for himself. I recently had a guest accidentally let out an older, semi-feral kitten (about 7 mos old) outside. The kitten disappeared for over a week during which we had snow & rain & high winds. Late at night, the kitten made his way to the neighbor's yard. His hunger worked well for me although my rear was cold & numb from sitting on the ground so long, feeding him bits of Fancy Feast in increments, slowly luring him to an open crate. He freaked out when I caught him, spent the night hiding under furniture, but is now enjoying living in the front room Screenshot_20200411-225422_Gallery.jpg

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Popnfrsh24 Popnfrsh24 If you suspect he somehow could still be in the culvert can you temporarily block one end with a sheet of cardboard and then shine a flashlight inside to see if you see his eyes glowing back at you. That way you'll have an idea if he is in there. Or maybe not.
Well,maybe culvert wasn't the right word. Not the ones where you have access to both sides. It's like the drainage culver that i believe the govt put in. So i have no real access to the other side. I can follow the cement "tubes" but i can't really see past those iron gates that they have every so often.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the not-a-culvert has one end open and the cat went in. Further in (how far?) there's a metal grate that would keep the cat from going deeper into the not-a-culvert. Yes?

If he is still in there a flashlight might still work to see if he is in there. Though I think it's likely he goes out, but he might go back in periodically, for shelter.

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well.....its hard to explain but the "not a culvert" goes to like a central hub where all the neighbors runoffs go to as well...im not explaining it well but it seems like he has another way out of the neighbors "not a culvert". I have flashed my flashlight in all the holes and hollered for him and i don't hear a response any more. I left food at the base of the culvert and on the steps of the patio he escaped from but my mom took it away after a few hours when she saw squirrels eating it. 😡

I still have food and all my stuff in the garage tho. Man this stinks

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welp did lots of roams around the neighborhood...tried to look in neighbors yards under sheds etc...called a lot for him and Nadda. Do you think it would be a good idea to walk around and call for him in the middle of the night? Or just before sunrise when he will hopefully be active?

I left some tuna and fancy feast in the garage. How far can cats smell? Also is it true their sense of direction is very strong? So hopefully he knows how to come back?

Man i just keep replaying the moment where he almost ran inside but instead the leash got caught and he squirmed out of it and bolted thru the patio screen 😭😿😿

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think it would be a good idea to walk around and call for him in the middle of the night? Or just before sunrise when he will hopefully be active?
I think so, --of course you need to take care of yourself, but it sounds like he was pretty scared. Keep calling, if the wind direction is correct he can smell for quite a long ways.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I left some tuna and fancy feast in the garage. How far can cats smell? Also is it true their sense of direction is very strong? So hopefully he knows how to come back?
Cats have an amazing sense of smell. The strongest smelling thing to attract them is Asian fish sauce (Nam Pla) diluted with a little water and sprayed onto grass of bushes near your house.

You will attract every cat within a mile though, so this might not be a good idea if there are a lot of other cats around.

Cats do have a very good sense of direction, but they tend to navigate based on wherever they consider their home to be. If has been living somewhere else for the past six months he might not remember your parents house.

How far is your place from the place he went missing?

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

I went out at 4 this morning and I heard him meow!!! I kept on calling for him and he kept meowing back. I found him in our neighbors tree! I was able to go and touch him...but I wasn't able to get him down without a ladder...I went to go get it and of course he scampered off and ran into their backyard. I went back to go get treats and some wet food but every time I could see him he scampered away. I left a can of wet food in the area i last saw him.

How do I entice him back? Should I have left that food out there? Do you think its a bad idea for my dad to come with me to find him since hes skittish?

Or do I just have to wait it out and chillax until he finally moseys back to my parents?

I'm happy theres progress!! but sad no kitty!

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to get him in the morning and I was able to see his eyes through the flashlight and he would meow, but he kept on freaking running away!!!!! Every time I get close he moves away. Do I just have to let him come to me?

Thanks,