Cat went from normal labs to hospitalized in 1+ month

angela638x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lola is 11yo female tuxedo cat. Up until 3 days ago she was eating, drinking, using the litter box - being her playful self..Then she started struggling to chew, then stopped eating completely. I noticed her breath was bad and her face was a bit twitchy. She was up and about but her energy was low. My normal vet couldn’t see her so I brought her to the ER as I was concerned about the switch in behavior. They had to sedate her to get into her mouth.

The vet there told me her kidney function tests were through the roof high and she couldn’t go home she was so sick. She told me she wasn’t sure if it was acute or chronic. This shocked me - she had full lab work done end of March- everything was perfectly normal. If it was chronic, wouldn’t there have been some indications on her lab work from a month or so ago? She hasn’t eaten anything weird, is an indoor only cat, doesn’t take meds…

I’m so upset, of course I left Lola the for fluids and whatever tests are needed. I am just looking for feedback, experience, support..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
The twitch, and the major change in numbers really makes me wonder about poisoning of some type or other, unless there's something very bad going on in her mouth. Did they take x-rays?. I'm sending you TONS of good thoughts ❤!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angela638x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
The twitch, and the major change in numbers really makes me wonder about poisoning of some type or other, unless there's something very bad going on in her mouth. Did they take x-rays?. I'm sending you TONS of good thoughts ❤!
Thank you so much. They said she has a small ulcer on her gums but they attributed that to her kidneys, otherwise her teeth are great. Coat, eyes, etc fine. I have a screened in patio surrounded by bushes that are managed by my condo complex - that’s the only place she goes. Maybe she ate something out there? They are doing literally every kind of test :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know what might be going on but would most certainly consult your current vet - ask the ER group to send your vet (and you) a copy of whatever tests they have run. When you get a copy of those results, you can also compare them yourself to the tests that were run by your regular vet just a month or so ago.

An ulcer on the gums can be tied to kidney issues, but it usually means the kidney disease is not a very recent event, so that is another perspective to discuss with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angela638x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't know what might be going on but would most certainly consult your current vet - ask the ER group to send your vet (and you) a copy of whatever tests they have run. When you get a copy of those results, you can also compare them yourself to the tests that were run by your regular vet just a month or so ago.

An ulcer on the gums can be tied to kidney issues, but it usually means the kidney disease is not a very recent event, so that is another perspective to discuss with your vet.
My vet is aware - called them over the past few days and after the visit and the ER is sending records/has her vet records.