Cat was attacked by dog. Please tell whats wrong with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snrub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cant afford a vet and hes an outside cat. His mother was ran over on the road. I stumbled upon the liter by luck they didnt even have their eyes open. There was about five. A tom cat killed the other three until i got rid of the tom cat. I milked the two until they were old enough to wean. this was about 8 years ago and his brother died several years ago. Im very attached to this cat more than the dog we have( theyre both outdoors)

Anyways my father claims he came home to the cat howling in the corner of the garage which was shortly before i got there. My dog smells of extreme cat urine as does my cat so i know its the dog as it has furr on its face to. My cat walks very slowly and carefully now he meows alot and has only walked maybe a total of twenty feet. I found him out side near a tree huddled in some leaves meowing. As he acted like it would hurt to carry him i just lifted him to his feet and called for him( i let him inside sometimes so he knows when to come in) he wont move wont eat he just lays down.

And meows. There is blood on his mouth from where he bit the dog. He also has a minimal amount of blood on his furr and i cant find a wound. I think he might be hurt inside. Hes not a lethargic cat at all he wont even respond when i call for him. I know hes in pain. His breathing seems a little off. Occasionally he shivers and shakes. I havent left his side. When he lays down on his side i notice he breaths in heavily. There is also what appears to be cat fieces. Could the dog of possibly pushed them out of him? He cant sit still so thats why i assume he just gets up and moves five feet then sits down. What do i do? My parents wont pay for a vet. Ive had him so long since i was like 14. Hes been in rough shape before but never like this. What could be wrong?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear about your cat, but nobody here is in a position to make any kind of diagnosis. It sounds like he's in pain and needs immediate vet care.
As per the forums rules:

No online advice can replace direct veterinary intervention. If you suspect that your cat may be ill, please contact your vet immediately. You are welcome to look for advice in the health forum while waiting for that appointment, but never delay proper veterinary care waiting for Internet advice. Remember that cats, and especially kittens, are very adept in keeping pain to themselves and delaying treatment may cause irreversible damage.

If you cannot afford a vet, there are resources available to you to ensure your cat gets the veterinary care. There is an excellent article titled “When You Can’t Afford a Veterinarian” on this website, available at http://www.thecatsite.com/Health/76/...erinarian.html. Please read through it to find out more about the options available to you.
:vibes::vibes::vibes: for him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PLEASE, keep in touch and tell us how your cat did. I'll pray for you and your baby. Please try to get him to a vet, even if you have to pay in payments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snrub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well he got up scratched around on my carpet then pooped. So hes a bit shooken up in the head because he always sits by the door when he has to. I got a box and a towel and i had to lift him up to put him in it and he moaned so awfully. i hope he makes it thru this okay.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please please try to get him to a vet. He sounds seriously injured and in a lot of pain. He could have internal injuries you can't see.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok its obvious you are not taking this poor cat to the vet.  You need to do the next thing and take to the Humane Society.  This cat cannot go on in pain and unattended to.  It is cruel.

This cannot go on, your kiitty is suffering. 

There are vets at the humane society, SPCA.  This kitty deserves better than he is getting.

For the sake of the kitty,  PLEASE, get him help.

snrub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You act like i dont care about him. i could of just left him there when he was a little kitten whos mother was hit on the road. Him how am i even suppose to get him there or pay? Will they just put him down? If theyre going to put him down why would i let it be a stranger rather than me someone he knows.

snrub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whats the best way to pick him up if he has internal injuries

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you love this cat as much as you claim in your original post:
 Im very attached to this cat more than the dog we have( theyre both outdoors)
Surely you can find it in your heart to do the right thing for this beloved pet.  How have you been caring for it for 8 years without spending any money on him?

I'm curious why you never once have used your kitties name or a description of your cat.  Most people when they love their pets refer to them by their first name; not as "their cat" or "the cat".

Plus are you implying that you want to be the one to put him down?  How are you going to do this humanely?  

And how do you get him "there"?  It seems you must be in your 20's or so.  You say you got the cat when you were around 14 and have had him for 8 years. Don't you drive, have access to a car?  If not, get on mass transit?  If not why wouldn't you parents take you?  Are they heartless?

Call me puzzled.

Last edited:

snrub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His names schnarf. Hes been sitting up which i hope is good i let him outside again an hour ago. I literally just went out to check on him came back and hes gone no where to be found. I live in the middle of no where, the nearest walmart is 40 minutes away if that tells you anything. No mass transit around here and my car doesnt run. Hes always been a roamer and hes been gone for over a week before. So i hope to god hes feeling okay now that hes left. If I dont see him atleast he went out doing what he loves

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you truely care about him you will go to a vet.  Worrying about him being pts is putting yourself first, not your cat.  Keeping pets when you live a long way from the vet is going to involve a lot of effort when they need the vets, and all animals do sooner or later.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep in touch and tell us how Schnarf is doing! My feral tomcat has been pretty severely injured and somehow keeps getting better. Don't give up hope. You cat may be in severe pain though, please at least keep him inside. Or give him a place he can hide and be comfortable.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is seriously injured, yes they may put him down at the Humane Society.  That is preferrable than living in pain and anguish.  And I also wonder what you mean when you imply you would put him down yourself......bad idea.

Go the extra mile for your cat...I would move heaven and earth to get medical help.   We are not talking a scrape on the foot....this is life and death.

How do you get food?  Do you never go to town?  I live out in the country and its a ways to my vet.  That's no excuse....sorry. 

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with what's been said, the cat needs to be taken to a vet or the humane society. They may be able to work out a payment plan or help you find charity that can help you; you don't know untill you try. If it comes to putting him to sleep to end his suffering, remember that you can be there and hold him while it happens. Sometimes it can be the most humane choice.

To be honest with you if your dog lives out side I feel sorry for him too. A dog's place is with the family, in the home. And honestly if your family can't afford vet care, they can't afford to keep pets and the Humane Society might be the best place for both animals. I hope things improve for all of you.

ruth3566

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just read about the girl who has a cat and lives in the middle of nowhere.
I urge you to get the cat seeing to please.
My beautiful beloved Cat Clovis was 15 months old and he was an exceptional cat.
He went out on the 18-11-13 and as the hours moved on I became worried. I did everything to find my Clovis.
The next morning he came back but was walking slow and wasn't acting like my Clovis.
He walked into my house and lay down. My 18 year old daughter did a health check on him and found a huge lump under his back legs and bit marks on his back.
He was in a great deal of pain so we took him to the PDSA and they said it was a canine attack and the lump was a hernia caused by trauma.
Anyway they said they could sort out his hernia.
The next day I took Clovis for his operation and kissed him and said "You'll be okay and when you come home you will get treats and pampered.
12.44pm on Wednesday 20th Nov 2013. I got the phone call "Clovis has more injuries than expected. He has 3 hernia's, punctured lung, and his intestines need to come out".
They said it was up to me what to do. They said if they bring him around he will suffer. So it killed me to say "Let him go".
I've cried so much it is breaking my heart not hearing him or seeing him. People say it was the right thing. So why do I feel so guilty?
He's being cremated now and he's coming home. But I want my Clovis back :'( Please to the girl who has the injured cat, take him.
As for putting him down yourself is so cruel, I would never do that to any animal.

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh, this is a heartbreaking thread. I hate to break it to you, but it's likely he went away to die in peace. That is very common with cats and dogs. I would go searching for him, at least then, he may have a proper burial :-( Or he could still be alive and COMPLETELY suffering out there on his own. I also agree with the poster who said that your dog needs to find a new home. A dog's place is in a home, surrounded by warmth, love and family. If you DO decide to surrender your dog, just make sure that you tell him he needs to be placed in a home w/o any small animals and possibly no kids.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Ruth3566, welcome to The Cat Site. I'm sorry it was such a sad thread that bought you here. Please think about visiting http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge and posting a tribute to Clovis. It may help you feel a lot better about what you had to do. :hugs:

As to the original poster, I very much doubt the cat is still alive. It's a harsh life for a lot of cats and dogs, particularly in rural areas where vet care for non stock animals is not the norm. And of course they're not spayed or neutered so there are always so there's always an abundance of these unfortunate animals.

ruth3566

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the welcome to this site.
I was never a cat person until I seen my beautiful Clovis.
Now he's coming home in a beautiful teak casket with his name on it.
I wish he weren't coming back to me like that but he's coming home to where he loved.
When he was attacked on this week he didn't curl up and give up, my baby managed to walk home with internal injuries.
The vets gave him antibiotics and pain relief via injection and I brought him home.
He slept on my daughters bed and still walked up to me in the morning to show me love.
He's out of pain now but he will never be out of my heart.
My daughter has a cat called Shiki, she got him when he was 6 weeks old because his mother snubbed him.
He is now 15 weeks old and misses my Clovis.
It took a while for Clovis to accept Shiki and after growls and moans Clovis finally allowed Shiki to sleep next to him.
When Shiki annoyed Clovis he would simply push Shiki's head down with his paw and stare at him as if to say "Leave me alone you pain".
Clovis only died 3 days ago but I still sit on my doorstep and call his name hoping. But I know he's gone but I feel I have to say his name.
Am I going crazy? I just want him back I love him so much.
He wasn't your typical cat, he would knock on my window to come in and wait outside till my car pulled up and he would jump on my lap as I opened my car door. I would love to show you a picture. But I don't know how to put a photo on my profile.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
On behalf of the entire TCS Team, I'd like to express our condolences on the loss of your Clovis. Perhaps you'd like to post a tribute to him in the Crossing the Bridge forum when you feel up to it.

As the original poster hasn't visited or updated this thread since February, it will now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.