Cat Wants To Go Outside

three cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! So here's my boy's history. He was born and grew up in the tack room of a large stable, so in his early days as far as I know he did not go outside. I brought him home at around 7 weeks and he was kept entirely indoors. Neutered as early as my vet recommended (probably around 8 weeks, I forget exactly when). He and his littermate sister were happy indoor cats for about 7-8 years.
Then he began peeing in the house outside of the litterbox. He's never sprayed, the pee was puddles of urine, usually placed in areas that seemed targeted towards me, like the area on the kitchen counter where I usually prep food and the place on another counter where I usually put my purse and keys. The icing on the cake was one night when I'm lying on my back in bed and he climbs up on me and pees on my chest! He spent that night in the basement.
I then transitioned him to being an outdoor cat, as we lived on a 500+ acre farm, so I'd bring him down to the barn during the day and then he'd spend the night in our basement. I did this for about a week or so, there were other cats in the barn and plenty of food and water in both places. I don't like the idea of just letting him out during the day and then back into the house at night as I don't like finding ticks crawling on me at night (which happened when we used to have dogs) and I've already had Lyme disease once before. So he lived happily as an entirely outdoor cat for several years although he eventually seemed to prefer hanging around our front door. He always had plenty of food and water outside and my husband built a "cat condo" which had 3 levels, each one carpeted and during winter 2 of the levels had a heating pad under the carpet which was on 24/7. There were also 2-3 barn cats that sort of adopted us and shared his food and water as well as the condo. There were also several outbuildings where they all found shelter in addition to the condo.
So now we've moved to a new house - no more farm, we're now in a fairly densely populated neighborhood. Since the move he's now become an indoor cat again. I began by taking him out for walks w/a cat harness to get him familiar w/his new environment. He had been quite sick right around the time of our move and thankfully has fully recovered, although the better he feels the more he wants to go outside. At first taking him outside for a walk once a day for 20-30 minutes seemed enough, and now he wants to go outside all the time and has tried to sneak out a couple of times. We've been having him sleep at night in the garage (again, plenty of food and water and his own bed) which he enjoys as I thought it would give him a domain to roam and explore as his territory.
On our "walks" he spends a fair amount of time just sitting and observing everything. This makes me think that if I could somehow make a shelter of some kind where he could be safe to hang out and watch what's going on while not being able to roam and get into trouble. We have a giant dog cage that I could put on the back deck (fully covered so it's shaded) not sure if that would be large enough? I'd love to hear ideas as my goal is to find a way where he can get enough of the outdoors without feeling he has to resume the peeing to get attention!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah- I think he'd enjoy a "catio"! TCS member basscat basscat has built an absolutely beautiful one for their rescued bobcat, Gibbs, so they might be able to give you some good advice.

Also, cats don't urinate inappropriately to spite you or get attention- so if he does resume this behavior, please take him to the vet to check for a UTI.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah you could definitely turn a dog cage into a nice catio. Lots of people do that so their cats can enjoy the outdoors safely. Make sure there's lots of cat trees for him to use!
And like said above, male cats in particular when peeing to get your attention are struggling with urinary tract issues, especially if he were on an all dry diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What gave me the idea that he was peeing to get attention was that it all began with him leaving poop gifts when we would go away on vacation. We'd come home and I'd find 1 or 2 poops on a carpet, no pee at all. While we were home he never peed or pooped outside the litterbox. Then that seemed to escalate to the peeing, again at first only when we went away, then in those particular places, usually up on a countertop, not on the floor.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he on an all dry food diet? Is he getting enough canned food? Dry food can cause poop and pee problems outside the litter box if they don't get enough moisture from canned food too.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What gave me the idea that he was peeing to get attention was that it all began with him leaving poop gifts when we would go away on vacation. We'd come home and I'd find 1 or 2 poops on a carpet, no pee at all. While we were home he never peed or pooped outside the litterbox. Then that seemed to escalate to the peeing, again at first only when we went away, then in those particular places, usually up on a countertop, not on the floor.
How many litter boxes do you have and how often were they cleaned while you were away?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have and how often were they cleaned while you were away?
We had 2 litter boxes, one on the main floor and one in the basement w/the door always open (they seem to prefer this one FWIW). Boxes were cleaned every other day. He does have all dry food w/2 large water dishes. I've offered canned food although they generally don't eat it, and I've tried several brands. Even now after he was sick recently and had lost weight I offered canned food again and he would maybe lick it once or twice then walk away or not even touch it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's too bad that they won't eat canned food, I have poop and pee problems with my cats when they eat too much dry food and not enough canned. My cats' favorites are Friskies, Fancy Feast, Purina One, Purina Pro Plan, and Sheba. Have you tried any of these brands?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise

We had 2 litter boxes, one on the main floor and one in the basement w/the door always open (they seem to prefer this one FWIW). Boxes were cleaned every other day. He does have all dry food w/2 large water dishes. I've offered canned food although they generally don't eat it, and I've tried several brands. Even now after he was sick recently and had lost weight I offered canned food again and he would maybe lick it once or twice then walk away or not even touch it.
Cats like a clean litterbox. Every other day might not be enough. Think about it this way- if you walked into a toilet stall to see that the toilet hadn't been flushed, you'd go into another stall. It's the same with cats. I scoop my Charlie's box at least twice daily- and if I walk by at anytime and see that he has pooped in it, I scoop it then too. If you're unable to clean it that often, you might consider using a self-cleaning litterbox. And you'll also need to change the litter every month. I know scooping a litterbox can be gross, but cats really appreciate having a clean space to do their kitty business!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a deck. Now it's a screened in porch. Buddy thinks it's his room.