Cat wants into my bedroom at night, scratching and crying.

jvanecha24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG! yes lol my cat will cry even when i have the door open when i am trying to shower. its like she wants to get in or if she doesnt see me she thinks i left her lol

mywinnie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the same situation she start knocking her head on the door and make sounds i feel so sad about it but i can't let her in beacsur she will start jumping on me and wouldn't let me sleep:(

meplus5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is normal for kittens. And cats are kittens until they are seniors. lol.

I have 5 cats, and 3 of them need to be locked out of my bedroom because they play, make noise, run across my face, attack my feet, insist on bringing me toys... it doesn't stop. So I put them all into a bedroom at night, or I close my door and ignore the scratching. They have scratched at the carpet to get in, so I put a towel or one of those draft door blocker things to stop that. They will still cry and bodyslam the door to get in, but eventually they give up. And when I say bodyslam, they do! lol

Dusti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5-6 month old cat, who won't stop crying outside my door. It happened when I first got him, and the only real way to stop it was for me to go to bed while my roomate played with him, then he'd go to bed 10 minutes later. The cat would only cry outside my door.
That was alleviated when we got my other cat, the 2 were buddies, and they just hung out in the living room.
Now I have moved, and my older kitty is crying outside my door again. All the time. I've tried squirting him, ignoring him, slamming the door from the inside when he cries. I can't ignore him because he will keep me up until 2, and I don't know how persistent he is, but when I wake up he's crying outside my door in the morning.
It's driving me up the wall, but I don't want to lock him in the bathroom every night where I can't hear him.
The first thing I would do is have him checked out by a vet to make sure there is nothing medically wrong with him. The next is to have playtime about an hour before your bed time to tucker him out alittle. This includes catnip toys, feather on a fishing pole and other interactive type toys, I would then after playtime leave your bedroom door open that night and see if it changes anything.... have 2-3 play sessions daily because he probably sleeps all day while you are at work and uses the energy stored to keep u up at nite! We have 3 and they do come in the bedroom at night and crawl around on the bed around our heads etc... but eventually they settle down. You may also think about getting him a companion this way he has a playmate all day and may leave u alone at nite! Good luck

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah, I just wish he was able to relax and be happy out with Orange Cat at night like he used to be able to.

Hi shmuckluk, this subject has also been dealt with in another thread and I thought it might be helpful for you to read a couple of posts there. You will find the thread "My Scratch Scratch y Eye Lid" under forum "Cat behavior" at the bottom of the first page, posts 4 and 5. I hope you will find this helpful. Good luck

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1. Try a nighttime routine that fills their instincts. It sounds so simple, but it always worked for me. Play with them, let them hunt and catch the toy - then food. Then you can go to sleep, and he'll go to sleep.

2. He will try to wake you if he knows you will give him attention when he does. Ignore him, go back to sleep. I know this can be really hard, you will lose sleep for about a week or two BUT - if you persist you will win. He'll learn that being boisterous in your room gets no reaction from you, so he will stop trying.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I still shut Luna out of my room at night. Always did when she was a kitten. Sleep is very important for my health. Also I have an airconditioner and my door has to be kept shut, so she either has to be locked in or locked out. And she's crazy at night so I lock her out.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/petstages-nighttime-flashing-firefly-mat
I was going to get this nighttime toy for mine. they hit the fireflies and they light up. They call it a night time toy, so maybe this will help.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason my post 26 to shmuckluk shows as part of the post I'm quoting so I'm repeating it in here to make sure it is not missed:

"Hi shmuckluk, this subject has also been dealt with in another thread and I thought it might be helpful for you to read a couple of posts there. You will find the thread "My Scratch Scratch y Eye Lid" under forum "Cat behavior" at the bottom of the first page, posts 4 and 5. I hope you will find this helpful. Good luck"

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise

Heres another nighttime toy with better reviews, and they make glow in the dark balls for cats to play with. Luna likes to play at night so maybe this would be good for your kitten? Or maybe one of those laser toys that are motion activated? Keep her occupied with something other than you during the night.

Nouveau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't sleep the whole night, and will run around, and jump in my window, and play with my blinds.
It's better sleep to have him not in my room, and that too is disruptive.
OMG. This my Nouveau to a ‘T’. He’s also 5-6mos! Like right now I can hear him darting down the halls and climbing/crashing onto the guest bathroom counter.

But I had to kick him out of my room a few nights ago cuz he wouldn’t stop climbing the curtains and chewing the blinds. Which ultimately led to one of the curtains falling down and exposing me and my pjs to the world (overlooks the town and apartment entrance). I was pissed. So out he went with a door closed behind him. He doesn’t cry for but a few minutes then runs off to play and destroy things.

And honestly, I’ve slept SO incredibly well the past few nights cuz I’m not constantly on edge worrying about what he’s tearing up in my room. He’s got toys, litter box and water plus a couple beds to choose from. So it’s not like he’s completely it off from anything.

Nouveau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would let him in the room after "kitten proofing" it. Raise the blinds so that he can't play with them. Put away everything that might cause noise when he plays with it. He may still pounce on you while you're trying to sleep but hopefully you will learn to sleep through it and if you make the room boring for him to play in he might not spend much time there. Your room might have to be inconveniently arranged for the short term but you might get more sleep. Hopefully as he matures he will calm down.

Be calm and patient. He's just an exuberant baby.

Good luck!
I tried raising the blinds so Nouveau could see outside which is what he was trying to do. But by raising them, they became a more enticing challenge for him to try and jump at and capture! Which resulted in more noise. As a kitten, he WILL find something to entertain himself with regardless of any kitten-proofing efforts. I have a set of “night time” toys that I put out and about that are a little quieter than some of his other ones. But he still is a rambunctious explorer of all things non-toy.

Mashkasheli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know how you don't him sleep with you, it is one of the hugest perks of having a cat :p-I lost mine 2 weeks ago and my bed is so empty without him that I don't manage to sleep through the night anymore. I am sure he will calm down. Especially if he is young. He needs to get used to the situation and will learn. I personally would give him a chance. Gradually he will learn to sleep with you and otherwise entertain himself....

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand your issues, my cat does the same. Honestly i pick her up off the sill so she'll quit ****8ng with the blinds, place her gently on the floor, shake out a few kitty trests for her, and go back to bed. Its worth it to wake up with her cuddled up next to me ❤ Plus we keep eachother warm-she actually got under the blanket with me last night cos it was so chilly. (i live in San Francisco and not all places have heat cos hou dont need it much-i had a pace heater but i cant find it).

Sometimes ill tie theblinds up where she cat reach, too. Id say try catptoofing ypur room and give it a try-remember shes young so shes going to want to play a lot.