Cat Vs. Husband Territory Battle

HaileyL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat is 16, male, neutered, only health problem was a urinary tract problem when he was 5 or so. He eats a specific cat food to keep that issue under control. Vet has done blood work etc and says he’s in good enough health, she thought he was 7 when we brought him in.

The problem is he hates my husband, so he poops all over the garage (which is kind of my husband’s space, but was always my cat’s until I married my husband) and even pees on Husband’s tools, etc. It’s been seven years and I can’t get this grudge match to end!! How do I get my cat to stop “claiming territory” constantly???

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't hold grudges, that is purely a human emotion. He may be trying to claim his territory, but after seven years it is more likely a habit now. A sixteen year old cat is geriatric, so he may be experiencing some dementia problems too. How does your husband feel about him. Does he yell at him, or not give him any attention? Treats go along way in winning a cat's heart. Is there a couple of litter boxes out there? Why is he allowed to go out there if he has this problem? If he needs to be locked up for any reason, I would find another site, like a extra bathroom, utility room or bedroom, and not let him have access to the garage.Or fix him a large roomy cage out there if he must, with a litter box, and sleeping area maybe with an electric heated pad. he might like that. I can't let one of my cats into my husbands shop either, he will pee too, so it is off limits. I really think he is too old to change now, just love him in his twilight years, I would give much to have my old boy back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HaileyL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Husband is not a cat person, but Cat isn’t a people person unless they’re me. They’re actually very similar personalities so no, Husband doesn’t give Cat much attention, but it’s mutual.

I’d think it was habit now too, but it’s a very specific habit...after my husband uses his tools, Cat then pees on specific tool. We’ve moved once or twice (which I’ve used as an excuse for his behavior a million times) but he adjusts very quickly with this one exception. I see no other signs of dementia. He has always yowled when he wants something, and otherwise ignores people, so he is basically as ornery as always A tiny bit of arthritis sometimes? But he still climbs his 6’ cat tower no problem.

The garage has been his space (Cat’s) forever...it’s his retreat from kids and people in general, since he spends most of his time these days napping inside. He’s an indoor/outdoor cat in the summers (he was a great mouser/bird hunter/everything hunter back in the day) so we leave the big garage door open a bit and he wanders in and out to his hearts content. When it’s not winter, obviously.

We just assumed the garage could be shared. He has basically full reign unless Husband has a project. We don’t even keep cars in there! And when he starts marking, it’s everything Husband has touched, plus by his food bowl, plus his ginormous cat tower (which has heaters galore). I hate to restrict him to a specific part, and I bet I couldn’t if I tried

Um...sorry, thinking of any other details...he only has the one litter box. I could definitely try a second, but we have little kids which is why I prefer to keep it somewhere they won’t reach. (Thus, the garage.) We’ve used the same cat litter for a million years.

Sigh. I don’t know. Obviously. I guess Husband just needs to pick his stuff up more and we’ll just keep cleaning up! I’ll suggest the treats and bribery to Husband but he won’t like it alas. Thank you though!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Husband is not a cat person" I think that is where the problem is......cats hold things in, they appear normal on the outside but can be in turmoil on the inside. Your husband joining the family was a BIG change and cats don't like change. If your husband could have learned to love and accept him it may have been different. But your old boy senses the dislike/indifference and is making sure his spot in the family is not being overthrown. Afterall, your husband took over HIS private place and since they never became friend he does NOT want to share. People that say they aren't a cat person almost always have more intense feelings then they say, I am not a fan of smelly, yipping dogs either, but have loved them when they were in my life. My husband walled off part of his shop for a workshop, is that an option? Even a temporary wall. Or maybe a shed out back made into a little shop?
I pray your husband can accept that this is a very senior cat doing this, can empathise that he most likely received a lot more attention then he is getting now from the one he loves above all else, you, and he is set too much in his ways to want to share. I know it's a pain to put everything up/away when you are through, but it's not a bad habit to get into. Get some plastic carpet protector with those little nubs on the back and put them nub side up on the work area when you are done. The nubs won't hurt him, but they hurt his feet enough to not walk there.i used a lot of that when I had to discourage my own senior from marking favored places when we moved. It really works. Maybe he could throw a big plastic tarp over everything when he is done to discourage the cat. I cover things outside to keep the ferals from marking them. Or keep a plastic tote handy to throw the tools in you are currently using to keep them handy.
In the meantime get a good enzyme cleaner to help keep the work of a cleanup to a minimum, and know you have a limited number of years left with that precious boy. He is obviously upset to be marking, so I hope you can set his mind at ease by giving him some extra love and attention. Please keep us posted!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont want to sound unsympathetic, I HATE the smell of cat urine......but I had to laugh when I read what your cat is doing. He sounds like a very "no nonsense type of cat".....knows what he wants and wont take any guff from anyone.

I think a bit of bonding between the two will go a long way to helping this problem.

Your husband doesn't like cats, and understandably so under these circumstances, yet you say he and the cat have similiar personalities. So maybe your husband can understand where the cat is "comming from".

So play time together, some treats, especially in the garage, may help alot. It will take patience and time, but once your husband isnt seen as the intruder, hopefully the problem will cease.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ps....if you bar the cat access to the garage, the peeing might start inside the house.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is his litterbox like? Is it big enough, jumbo or giant size? Does it have a cover on it? What brand of litter do you use? Is he constipated at all? My female cat poops on the floor when she's constipated.

HaileyL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Di and Bob—the office mat is such a good idea! I will definitely try that! And husband does okay sometimes, gives Cat tuna and things, but then he does a project and Cat pees on something and we start all over again. Sigh. I try to give Cat more attention but would it mean more coming from Husband?

Purrfect—hahah, you nailed Cat’s personality!! He’s a real grouch. He has been very interesting to watch as we’ve had kids because he gives them warnings when they misbehave...hilarious. Anyway.
Definitely need to work on the bonding. Cat will be smug about it and Husband will hate it but I think you are all right and it’s definitely necessary!

Maggiedemi—I think it’s big enough? Not jumbo though. No cover, Tidy Cats litter (which I don’t think needs switching, he gets mad when we do), aaaand I don’t think he’s constipated? What are the signs?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Constipation looks like really hard poop. If it hurts coming out, they can avoid the litterbox and just let it fall wherever. Does he get any canned food?

HaileyL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He actually has looser stool than hard. It doesn’t seem to cause him pain. He gets canned food (always tuna, it’s his favorite) on special occasions, but since he has the special diet cat food, we don’t stray from that very often.