Cat Vs Hamster

greenpuppyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday i bought A hamster and I know its gonna take a while for my cat to get used to him but shes been looking at him like hes food shes already tried to get him once while he was climbing up his cage.I am putting him in another room at night and shutting the door but how long do i have to keep doing this?Will my cat EVER get used to him

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think that the hamster will have to stay in a separate room permanently. Hamsters are far too similar to mice (a cat's meal of choice) to coexist harmoniously with cats. Even if your hamster is kept in a cage, he is still in danger of getting maimed or killed by your cat. I have heard stories of cats reaching through the bars of hamster cages, somehow managing to pull the hamster out, before proceeding to kill the little creature.

However, of your cat has a calm enough disposition, some people online claim to have had luck with cat to hamster introduction. I'll attach a link: How to Introduce a Cat to a Hamster | Cuteness.com

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This may be helpful: Cats and Small Furries

Many cats are intially curious about a new small pet in the home. Some cats lose interest in the small pet after awhile but others will not and will try to "hunt" or "play" which often means the small pet ends up injured or worse. Keeping the small pet in a room that is closed off to the cat is the safest thing to do.

I currently have two mice and they are kept in the bedroom. The cats don't have access to the bedroom when I'm not at home. When I am at home the cats have free access to the bedroom but fortunately leave the mice alone. Occasionally they'll sit next to the box and watch the mice but that's all they do. My cats are just strange :crazy:

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat never stopped seeing the hamster as prey. Admittedly, she does have a high prey drive and would probably bring me "gifts" if I ever let her outside. I found that a glass tank with a strong metal mesh cover clamped on was the best way to keep the hamster safe. The glass tank also helps the hamster be less stressed since it won't be able to smell your cat.