Cat Vomiting

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 year old neutered male cat who has vomited 3 times in the span of 10 days. His appetite is good, he has plenty of energy and isn't acting any different.

Each time, the vomit has happened about 10 minutes after our daily walk outside. It doesn't happen every time, just on those occasions. He does ingest some grass during our walk each time, so I was thinking that may be the cause, but if so why does he not through up after every walk?

I am aware that cats often eat grass when their stomach is upset, but that still leaves the reason behind why he has an upset tummy to be determined.

He has kibble down all day and two wet meals a day. Its not after a meal, and the food in his vomit is partially digested already (before his evening meal). So I don't think its from eating too fast.

I am a little worried about IBD, but his diet hasn't changed (I've introduced some raw, but that is only once a week) and his stools are also healthy.

Another possibility I've considered is hairballs. There is a little bit of hair (the grey mass) in each vomit, though I am unsure if a normal hairball vomit should have so much other matter in it. He is short furred and doesn't shed much at all.

I haven't taken him to a vet yet as he is still.l normal in all other respects. I plan to monitor him for the next two weeks or so and record when he vomits, what he ate that day, what we did etc before I book him an appointment. I also wanted to get a better idea of what tests I make sure are done to determine the cause of this.

Sorry for the long spiel, I tried to include as much information as I could. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I have attached a photo of his vomit, it looks like this each time.

20210711_180914.jpg

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
What color fur is he?

I see grass— and the thick crab grass in his vomit. If he is grey or black, I see a furball in there also.

Personally, I am feeling this is a bad year for furballs. I see so many people posting about them.

Some cats seem to sense when they need to hack up a hairball. Grass does help, Some cats just want the extra fiber.

The thick, heavy weeds, crab grass, is probably what caused this episode.

You can pick up some fine cat grass at the pet store, to grow.

Or try some hair ball dry food. Just a thought.

If the vomiting becomes excess, then I would consider a vet visit.

((( hugs)))

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Grass can be sprayed with chemicals at times. It can also have dog urine etc on it. If the vomiting only occurs after eating grass, I wouldn't let him eat it anymore.

It is not normal for cats to vomit and that includes hairballs. Cats were naturally designed to digest their hair. If they cannot then there is usually an underlying issue with their GI tract.

Cats are obligate carnivores. They cannot process carbohydrates since their GI tracts are designed to process only meat. And small meat meals several times a day. So, if you think about it, a cat is supposed to stalk prey, hunt and kill, then eat a small meat meal, clean themselves and sleep. Then repeat the scenario. Usually multiple times a day. Cats should not have food available all the time. They also shouldn't be eating dry food at all.

All dry food is bad for cats, because of the high carbohydrates and the dehydration process. The new marketing on dry food is that it is grain free. Doesn't matter. What they took out in grains they replaced with other high carbohydrate foods such as potatoes, chick peas, and other things cats have no business eating.

Because a cat's GI tract cannot process carbohydrates, it leads to chronic inflammation, and in time GI issues like chronic vomiting, IBD and even intestinal lymphoma. It causes weight gain in most cats causing diabetes and other metabolic issues.

Raw diet is great as long as you are careful who you are getting it from and know how to handle it to avoid bacterial contamination. If only feeding raw you need to supplement certain nutrients. Most people don't want to put in the effort and do the research. Also there is always a risk of salmonella or listeria to name a few. If you find a reliable company to buy from, properly add the needed nutrients, and handle it properly, it does seem to be much better for cats.

Sticking with a high quality canned cat food is best providing your cat will eat it. You never want your cat not to eat. A cat that doesn't eat is at risk for developing critical liver disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What color fur is he?

I see grass— and the thick crab grass in his vomit. If he is grey or black, I see a furball in there also.

Personally, I am feeling this is a bad year for furballs. I see so many people posting about them.

Some cats seem to sense when they need to hack up a hairball. Grass does help, Some cats just want the extra fiber.

The thick, heavy weeds, crab grass, is probably what caused this episode.

You can pick up some fine cat grass at the pet store, to grow.

Or try some hair ball dry food. Just a thought.

If the vomiting becomes excess, then I would consider a vet visit.

((( hugs)))
Thank you for your reply! Yes, that is his fur. I have considered trying him on a hairball diet, so if it doesn't clear up soon I will definitely trial it to see if it helps 😊

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Grass can be sprayed with chemicals at times. It can also have dog urine etc on it. If the vomiting only occurs after eating grass, I wouldn't let him eat it anymore.

It is not normal for cats to vomit and that includes hairballs. Cats were naturally designed to digest their hair. If they cannot then there is usually an underlying issue with their GI tract.

Cats are obligate carnivores. They cannot process carbohydrates since their GI tracts are designed to process only meat. And small meat meals several times a day. So, if you think about it, a cat is supposed to stalk prey, hunt and kill, then eat a small meat meal, clean themselves and sleep. Then repeat the scenario. Usually multiple times a day. Cats should not have food available all the time. They also shouldn't be eating dry food at all.

All dry food is bad for cats, because of the high carbohydrates and the dehydration process. The new marketing on dry food is that it is grain free. Doesn't matter. What they took out in grains they replaced with other high carbohydrate foods such as potatoes, chick peas, and other things cats have no business eating.

Because a cat's GI tract cannot process carbohydrates, it leads to chronic inflammation, and in time GI issues like chronic vomiting, IBD and even intestinal lymphoma. It causes weight gain in most cats causing diabetes and other metabolic issues.

Raw diet is great as long as you are careful who you are getting it from and know how to handle it to avoid bacterial contamination. If only feeding raw you need to supplement certain nutrients. Most people don't want to put in the effort and do the research. Also there is always a risk of salmonella or listeria to name a few. If you find a reliable company to buy from, properly add the needed nutrients, and handle it properly, it does seem to be much better for cats.

Sticking with a high quality canned cat food is best providing your cat will eat it. You never want your cat not to eat. A cat that doesn't eat is at risk for developing critical liver disease.
Thank you for your reply. You make a good point about pesticides. However the grass is from my own back yard so I know it has no poisons or anything on it, luckily enough. He eats a little grass every time he goes outside, but the vomiting has only just occurred and does not happen each time he ingests grass.

I also thank you for advice on his diet, though it is not quite what I was asking for. I have him on the best possible diet I can in my current situation, and will only look to change it if it is indeed causing him issues.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest using a hairball remedy like malt paste and brushing him daily. If you give the malt paste in the morning, it might also help him to not eat (much) grass maybe. Even better if you can also brush with a Furminator like brush couple times a week.

If he sheds too much hair, you might also consider adding a skin & coat target supplement.

Also, when was the last time he got dewormed? I think your situation sounds more like hairballs but maybe the problem isn't only that, and there's a contributing factor.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 year old neutered male cat who has vomited 3 times in the span of 10 days. His appetite is good, he has plenty of energy and isn't acting any different.

Each time, the vomit has happened about 10 minutes after our daily walk outside. It doesn't happen every time, just on those occasions. He does ingest some grass during our walk each time, so I was thinking that may be the cause, but if so why does he not through up after every walk?

I am aware that cats often eat grass when their stomach is upset, but that still leaves the reason behind why he has an upset tummy to be determined.

He has kibble down all day and two wet meals a day. Its not after a meal, and the food in his vomit is partially digested already (before his evening meal). So I don't think its from eating too fast.

I am a little worried about IBD, but his diet hasn't changed (I've introduced some raw, but that is only once a week) and his stools are also healthy.

Another possibility I've considered is hairballs. There is a little bit of hair (the grey mass) in each vomit, though I am unsure if a normal hairball vomit should have so much other matter in it. He is short furred and doesn't shed much at all.

I haven't taken him to a vet yet as he is still.l normal in all other respects. I plan to monitor him for the next two weeks or so and record when he vomits, what he ate that day, what we did etc before I book him an appointment. I also wanted to get a better idea of what tests I make sure are done to determine the cause of this.

Sorry for the long spiel, I tried to include as much information as I could. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I have attached a photo of his vomit, it looks like this each time.

View attachment 387494
That's definitely a furball with some partially digested grass and food. Grass, especially yard grass, is very harsh and will more often than not come back up fairly quickly (but not always). Cats do eat grass to help them bring up furballs.
There are many schools of thought on what is good and not good to eat, as you've seen already from the varying opinions in the posts. I feed high quality wet food 3x a day and high quality dry is provided free-choice. We have a cat water fountain and two stationery bowls of water. Baby Su is 16 and Elvis is 13 and both are quite healthy. At present, I am not seeing furballs much at all, as I brush them daily (both are shorthaired cats and both love to be brushed). Because the cat grass I've grown and bought usually comes right back up, I don't give grass at all. Before bedtime, they each get a few Feline Greenies treats; I alternate the crunchy "dental" treats with the "hairball" treats and the "skin and fur health" treats. Other than that, there's no special diet or treatment and neither of them are on any kind of medication at all.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's definitely a furball with some partially digested grass and food. Grass, especially yard grass, is very harsh and will more often than not come back up fairly quickly (but not always). Cats do eat grass to help them bring up furballs.
There are many schools of thought on what is good and not good to eat, as you've seen already from the varying opinions in the posts. I feed high quality wet food 3x a day and high quality dry is provided free-choice. We have a cat water fountain and two stationery bowls of water. Baby Su is 16 and Elvis is 13 and both are quite healthy. At present, I am not seeing furballs much at all, as I brush them daily (both are shorthaired cats and both love to be brushed). Because the cat grass I've grown and bought usually comes right back up, I don't give grass at all. Before bedtime, they each get a few Feline Greenies treats; I alternate the crunchy "dental" treats with the "hairball" treats and the "skin and fur health" treats. Other than that, there's no special diet or treatment and neither of them are on any kind of medication at all.
Thank you! I will definitely look into purchasing a brush then. What hairball treats do you give? I currently do have the Greenies Dental treats which I use.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will definitely look into purchasing a brush then. What hairball treats do you give? I currently do have the Greenies Dental treats which I use.
A good slicker brush is what I've always used. The hairball treats are Feline Greenies, too, as are the fur and skin health treats. Just a few before bedtime make Baby Su and Elvis very happy. They anticipate them. I use one bag at a time and after finishing it, I open a different kind and rotate them. If your sweet boy anticipates a daily brushing (or more than one! My Baby Su would be happy if I just sat and brushed her multiple times a day. It also seems to encourage her to eat. It's a kind of ritual we've gotten into.) and then a few treats at the time of day you choose, he'll be quite happy. Cats love pattern and ritual.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The hairball treats are Feline Greenies, too, as are the fur and skin health treats.
Have they been discontinued? I am unable to find them anywhere, even on the Greenies website...