Cat vomiting, neurotically cleaning himself and loosing weight... help?!

dudeywoody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi cat site!

Ive had my indoor orange tabby cat for a few years and up until this year has been fat, happy and playful. Something has been coming on for months and it started with him acting slightly "off"... a bit quieter... then followed with him puking. At one time he got really quiet, wouldn't even come when called and the vet assumed it was tick related, so gave him a shot of something to take the fever he had down. (This was in the summer).That helped and within a few days felt much better, but because of the fear of male cats and the urinary stuff, for safe keeping added canned food in his diet along with a little dry. As time went on he started to eat and throw up, so we gave him smaller amounts more often and took away dry. This helped, but this month he's lost now a ton of weight and now throws up most of what he eats... and not right after, it may be hours after. About a month ago there was a big bright red glob of blood in his poop, but that was the only time I noticed it so didn't act on it. He's always hungry and constantly asking for food. He also (and when I got him always had a touch of this quirk) cleans himself constantly.. I mean, not really itching, more of just licking, his entire body, all the time. It's almost neurotic. He will lick most of the night, even down to his tail. He's always been a clean freak, but this is bizarre. Ive been googling and nothing seems to match. He is somewhere around 6 years old, maybe a little less.

Advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

sebastian01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for your kitty! Good thing he's young and probably has a decent immune system. I had a kitty with IBD and the signs sound somewhat similar, have you looked into it?

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_ibd.cfm

Also, maybe his tummy is off and he needs a bland diet. I have a sick kitten who wasn't eating and we boiled some chicken and blended it with rice. He's eating it like he was starved for it! It just simplifies the diet so you can start adding things in one at a time to see if what's bothering him could be dietary, like a food allergy.

if that didn't work, i'd try switching to a wet food of a novel protein, like duck or rabbit. Natures variety makes some good ones.

Good luck to him! Having sick kitties is no fun, for us or for them. [emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji]

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd take the cat to the vet again for another check up and blood work. Be sure to mention the vomiting after eating.

Being constantly hungry usually means the cat isn't getting enough calories daily or there is a medical condition that is causing the constant hunger, such as diabetes or thyroid problems. The weight loss combined with the constant hunger makes me think diabetes but only a vet would be able to make a definite diagnosis.

How old is your cat? What do you feed and how much every day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dudeywoody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is 5-6 years old. He always enjoyed eating, and now eats almost any amount and throws up. He is hungry because he is not getting as much as he did in. Doing more research it seems he is licking from stress. Than what makes cats puke like this?