Cat vomiting clear liquid

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We dont have any plants and I have no idea what else he could have gotten into. He's not really that kind of cat. He will only eat food and I never leave food out.
That's very odd. I hope he eats today so you don't have to bring him back for tests!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's disappointing to read. I was really hoping he just needed to throw up a hairball. Let's hope the anti-nausea meds help with his appetite and he eats his food today.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm well acquainted with the yucky clear vomit.  When I first adopted Ruby a little over 2 years ago, I'd find it a lot.  Always between meals, when her stomach was empty.  At that time she was food-obsessed and never left food in her dish for later, so there were long periods between her meals.  The vet recommended hypoallergenic duck canned food which stopped the vomiting.  Ruby also eventually learned to graze, so there was always something in her dish to nibble on and her stomach didn't get empty as often.

Unfortunately, I'm worried that she has developed an allergy to the duck food, or she's tired of the food, as she's thrown up the clear liquid 3 mornings in the last 2 weeks, and not eating as much as usual.  She has a vet appointment on Friday, so hopefully just another food change will work.  It's so stressful when they are sick or not eating.

Good luck with Loki.  Hope he feels better soon.  He is gorgeous, btw.   As is Wurp.   

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks @rubysmama  he is absolutely, out of all my cats, my baby.  I guess because I've had him the longest and he's been my constant companion through some really low times in my life. 

Wurp did the vomiting like this too when he was empty.  After I upped his wet food (sometimes 3 cans a day so he always has fresh out) he has gotten better.  I just run through cat food like water though and it gets expensive.  I can't do the chicken, or the rabbit, or any of the normal go-to hypoallergenic meats, he absolutely refuses those.  I even tried raw (to my gagging) and he refused that.  I have a lot of luck on plain ole Fancy Feast classics in the poultry pates and the beef feast, and also the Merrick pate, but he's not really keen on the Merrick. I avoid fishy types because it makes his hair come out on his head around his face. Sometimes all I can get him to eat is Friskies pates in the cans.  But as long as I keep him with something in his tummy, and preferably wet food, we do pretty well.  Every once in a while he still will hurl up the hairballs, and what I call "hairball juice" haha!  But even the hairball juice is totally different from this slimy stuff.

If that is Ruby in your profile pic, she is a doll!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@hbunny  - yes, that is Ruby in my profile picture.  I adopted her in Nov 2013.  Because her history is unknown, so is her age, however, the SPCA thought she was 3, my vet thought younger.  So I figure she is now between 4 and 5.

I think with Ruby too, it's when she eats less and her tummy is empty that she gets the clear vomit.  Yesterday, I was literally putting her breakfast in her dish when she threw up.  Not sure if she'd eaten a couple minutes earlier if it would have made a difference or not.