Cat vomiting after new kitten

Rayhuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I posted a couple days ago about bringing home a 3mo boy (Finn) to my 8yo girl (Evie) 6 days ago. I have kept them separate but the baby has escaped a couple times and gone for Evie which she greeted with a hiss. Otherwise Evie was acting mostly normal. But now she is ignoring his existence, has a significantly decreased appetite, is hiding most of the time, and has thrown up spitty looking vomit a couple times. I just read through every similar post on this site and am 100% sure it’s stress related from the kitten. I just want to know if it will pass or am I going to have to rehome the kitten. Is there anything I can do to help her? I have Feliway and calming sprays. I don’t want to take her to the vet when that will stress her out more and I’m not sure how much they can do other than give her anti anxiety meds? I feel so awful I’ve made her sick.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi. Talk with the vet about getting something that will help calm her for the vet visit, so that you can eliminate the possibility that her behavior of sleeping more, and now vomiting, isn't related to a health issue.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If she isnt eating much the clear vomit could be acid reflux. It happens when a cat has an empty stomach due to how acidic it is.

As to why she is acting sick, she might have picked up a bug from the new cat. Some diseases like feline herpies can lie dormant and not cause outword symptoms.

The stress may also have caused a bladder infection its hard to know.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you used the Feliway before? Did her vomiting start after you started using the Feliway? Does she try to avoid the room where the Feliway is? I only ask because the Feliway seemed to make our cat more aggressive and left me feeling 'odd'. This doesn't mean it isn't good for many, many have said it helps. I'm just suggesting that it be a consideration of a possible cause in Evie's upset.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayhuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you used the Feliway before? Did her vomiting start after you started using the Feliway? Does she try to avoid the room where the Feliway is? I only ask because the Feliway seemed to make our cat more aggressive and left me feeling 'odd'. This doesn't mean it isn't good for many, many have said it helps. I'm just suggesting that it be a consideration of a possible cause in Evie's upset.
thank you! I have used Feliway for years so don’t think it’s that

Lime_Cat

Cat Enthusiast In His Twenties + CAT DAD
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there,

I understand that introducing a new kitten to your resident cat can be a challenging and stressful process for both cats. It's not uncommon for the resident cat to exhibit signs of stress and discomfort during this transition period. Here are some suggestions to help your resident cat adjust and hopefully alleviate her stress:

1. Provide a safe space: Ensure that your resident cat has a designated safe space where she can retreat and feel secure. This could be a separate room with her essentials, such as food, water, litter box, and her favorite toys.

2. Gradual introductions: When allowing the kitten to roam, supervise their interactions closely. Gradually increase the time they spend together, starting with short supervised sessions and gradually extending the duration. This will help them become more accustomed to each other's presence over time.

3. Scent swapping: Swap bedding or toys between the two cats to help them become familiar with each other's scent. This can be done by rubbing a cloth on one cat and then placing it near the other cat, encouraging positive associations.

4. Positive reinforcement: Reward both cats with treats and praise when they exhibit calm and relaxed behavior around each other. This will help create positive associations and reduce stress.

5. Feliway and calming sprays: Continue using Feliway and calming sprays in the areas where the cats spend time. These products can help create a more soothing environment for your cats and potentially reduce stress-related behaviors.

6. Patience and time: It takes time for cats to adjust to each other's presence and establish a new dynamic. Be patient and allow them to progress at their own pace. It's not uncommon for it to take several weeks or even longer for cats to fully acclimate to each other.

Regarding your concerns about your resident cat's decreased appetite and vomiting, it's possible that these symptoms are related to stress. However, it's always a good idea to consult with a veterinarian to rule out any underlying health issues. They can provide guidance on how to manage your cat's stress and address any potential health concerns.

Remember, every cat is unique, and the adjustment period can vary. With patience, time, and careful management, there's a good chance that your cats will eventually learn to coexist peacefully. If you're still unsure or experiencing significant challenges, consulting with a professional animal behaviorist can provide you with tailored advice and support.

Take care and best of luck in helping your cats adjust to their new living arrangement!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayhuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had a sneaking suspicion for a while that she’d formed an intolerance to chicken. So I changed her food and no tummy issues since. She is still not quite herself since he’s been here but I just make sure I give her extra love.