Cat Vomit After Eating Food?

Cat Buddies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. I am just wondering does your cat vomit after eating food? I am thinking if could be due to recent change of cat food brand.. could it be the cause of it?

Seems weird that my tabby cat vomit almost immediately after eating.. completely healthy but suspect could be due to hairball.. or change of cat food brand?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What tabbytom tabbytom describes -- the eating too fast -- can often happen when a cat is excited about eating a new food. Sometimes they get over this, sometimes they don't!

If a cat eats too fast, it can be helpful to spread the food out on a large plate, to raise the dish a few inches (we have platforms for our cat who tends to eat too fast), and/or feed more, smaller meals.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
In addition to eating too fast as tabbytom tabbytom and lisahe lisahe say, regurgitation might also be caused by the food being cold or that particular food not agreeing with the cat. Or they just might have a sensitive stomach. Iris doesn’t eat fast, but she seems to have trouble keeping down her morning meal. I’ve discovered that if I feed her half and then feed her the other half about 45 minutes later, it reduces the frequency of her barfing it all up again. It also means less to clean up! :)

She also can’t tolerate pork and seems to vomit more if the food is cold.

It’s always good to touch base with the vet about it, though.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat Buddies, Tobermory Tobermory 's post makes me want to clarify what you mean when you say that your cat vomits "immediately" after eating. Does your cat -- what is your cat's name, by the way? -- do the "scarf and barf," which would be eat quickly and then, right away, barely stepping away from the dish, regurgitate the whole meal? (This is what Edwina is capable of doing, it's a sort of projectile thing...) If it's that quick, chances are greater that your cat is just eating too fast.

I agree, too, that it's a good idea to check in with the vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat Buddies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat Buddies, Tobermory Tobermory 's post makes me want to clarify what you mean when you say that your cat vomits "immediately" after eating. Does your cat -- what is your cat's name, by the way? -- do the "scarf and barf," which would be eat quickly and then, right away, barely stepping away from the dish, regurgitate the whole meal? (This is what Edwina is capable of doing, it's a sort of projectile thing...) If it's that quick, chances are greater that your cat is just eating too fast.

I agree, too, that it's a good idea to check in with the vet!
Hi thanks for the reply. My cat name is “Meow Mee” she’s about 9 years old. She do the scarf and barf before committing.

But strangely she actually ate slowly but she got nervous perhaps when she sees the other cat (the cats can’t get along well) in the same room.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
But strangely she actually ate slowly but she got nervous perhaps when she sees the other cat (the cats can’t get along well) in the same room.
That could be it, too. I always feed Iris in a separate room with the door closed, because the other two eat much faster and then make a beeline for her bowl. It makes her nervous.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it comes up without almost any effort very soon after eating, it's more likely regurgitaton. If she coughs a few times beforehand before barfing, and maybe has one or several more smaller barfs after, then this is vomiting. This usually occurs some time after eating (sometimes an hour or several hours after eating.) It sounds like Meow Mee is regurgitating her food.

If she's hungry after doing it, she probably ate too fast. If she's not hungry after she's regurgitated, it very likely the food doesn't agree with her and you shouldn't feed her that food anymore.

From your last post, it sounds like maybe she eats fast because she's nervous about the other cat possibly ambushing her or stealing her food. If that's the case, you'll have to look at how to make her feel more secure during meal times including maybe feeding her on a table or in a room the other cat doesn't have access to until she's finished eating. Or you may have to sit with her while she eats. You can be her security from the other cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat Buddies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it comes up without almost any effort very soon after eating, it's more likely regurgitaton. If she coughs a few times beforehand before barfing, and maybe has one or several more smaller barfs after, then this is vomiting. This usually occurs some time after eating (sometimes an hour or several hours after eating.) It sounds like Meow Mee is regurgitating her food.

If she's hungry after doing it, she probably ate too fast. If she's not hungry after she's regurgitated, it very likely the food doesn't agree with her and you shouldn't feed her that food anymore.

From your last post, it sounds like maybe she eats fast because she's nervous about the other cat possibly ambushing her or stealing her food. If that's the case, you'll have to look at how to make her feel more secure during meal times including maybe feeding her on a table or in a room the other cat doesn't have access to until she's finished eating. Or you may have to sit with her while she eats. You can be her security from the other cat.
Hi there, thanks! Yup we might change meow mee’s good. Yes.. we probably need to stay with meow mee and be her security until she finishes her food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, sometimes feeding cats in separate rooms, with doors closed, does wonders! We have to feed our two that way because the faster eater freaks out the slower eater. The great thing about feeding them separately is that it slows down the faster eater (she knows she has to wait for the door to open) and speeds up the slower eater (who knows we'll give her time to eat). Neither one of our cats really likes to have us around when they eat but some cats love the company!

Good luck with Meow Mee!

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a mention here, in reference to this book for pets on Traditional Chinese Medicine the stomach is the weakest organ first thing in the morning.
So a cat that vomits may just need his/her feeding time changed. I understand this can be difficult in a multi-cat home but for the OP, they only have the one (?)

When I cared for three cats and my one tabby consistently vomited in the morningtime, I ended up changing to raw for for them (I had already transitioned the two dogs) It made the world of difference in her health. No more vomit = happy mamaKat.