Cat violent towards young sister

ameishabritneyx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So about a month ago, we discovered a stray cat with 5 feral kittens in our garden. In the end, we ended up giving away the kittens as they were too wild and we kept the mum as she was very sweet, perfectly litter trained and friendly. We got her neuteured at the vet and they all would talk about how friendly and sweet she was. She had been very good here but this week I have noticed she has had a disliking to my 4 year old sister. I have two little sisters and they are very gently and good with the cats, not like normal little kids and they look after her well. The cat is fine with my 6 year old sister but she has scratched my 4 year old sister three times now! and the worst thing was yesterday, when she scratched my sister I was there and my sister wasn`t even doing anything and the cat just jumped up and scratched her! She had a scratch mark on her cheek, stomach and leg. When this happened, my dad wanted to get rid of the cat but Ii just want to know your views and opinions and understand why she is being mean to my little sister. She is usually very friendly and this has only occured in the last few days. Please, I really want to keep her but my sister is more important.

The cat is called Tyga and the vet said she is about 1-2 years old. I will post a photo of her below:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameishabritneyx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has just jumped up and scratched my 6 year old sister on her eye now. She has used her last chance, I have rang up my mum and we are not gonna keep her now because I don`t know what has changed in her as these past few days she has been scratching and my little sisters come first. 

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry, just saw this! Could you try trimming her claws? Is it possible that the girls have hurt her? Not intentionally of course, just very young children can be rough without ever meaning too. Has all contact been supervised? Children need to be taught the proper way to pick a cat up, how to hold it; not too tight, no pulling on legs or tail, no squeezing. Little ones don't realize when they hold too tightly, or that picking up by a leg can hurt.

Please have a talk with the girls and ask, no pressure, no scolding, just teaching..

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you do need to rehome her, quickly as it may be. Please ask around for a rescue or shelter that is no kill. If you take her to a standard shelter and tell them she has scratched they will, most likely, put her down right away. If the scratching was truly unprovoked, she may have a history where she was hurt by children and would be perfect in a home with adults only.

ameishabritneyx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

sorry for coming across rude I was just panicking but me and my mum went to the vet to talk to them. They are going to trim her nails on wednesday and they said to change her diet and to buy her toys as they think she is being too playful rather than aggressive. Me and my mum are going to try this and see, although we have to hope she doesn`t scratch when my dad is home as he will want to get rid of her as soon as so we haven`t mentioned to him the scratch today. I do hope she makes progress because she had never been like this before and the little ones never pick her up or pull her or anything, they just stroke her as they are always supervised when with the cat and I am very strict on how they treat the cat lol x

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You didn't sound rude, just scared.
It sounds like you have become fond of Tyga and would hate to lose her.

Will the behaviorist be there before Dad?

ameishabritneyx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am really fond of her, thats why we ended up keeping her. She was a stray and she has such a good temperament, I don`t know how anyone could abandon her? she is perfectly litter trained, very affectionate and when she has gone out, all we have to do is go in the garden and call her name and she comes straight back inside. The reason why I said she will have to go is because of my dad, not of my choice but she hasn`t jumped up in a couple of days so hopefully it stays like that. We did buy her a toy with catnip inside ( she threw it up the next day though which is gross lool) but I think it is because it was her first time having it. She has been to the vet and got her second injection and nail clipped but getting her in the carrier was such a struggle, we ended up having to force her in unfortunately. She has also gained some weight from last month when we took her ( she was 2.4kg but now is 3.2) so she is fattening up a bit now as she was quiet skinny. She is currently cleaning herself which she has been doing for like 20mins lol.