Cat very lethargic and difficult to breath

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my cat to the vet because it had cold and its nose was blocked. Vet gave it 3 injections and told me to take her back home.

Now kitten is very tired/sick and not eating, also drooling. Is this normal for cold? Should I send it back to the vet?

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take the cat back to the vet. I don't have experience with kittens but my kitty is a senior. He was lethargic last night but only temporarily. He seems back to his old self. I'm still trying to reach his vet.

You might want to check into a video appointment if getting there is difficult.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could have something to do with the injections. You didn't say what they were, but I suspect 2 of them were an antibiotic and a steroid. Not sure what the 3rd would have been. Antibiotics, especially the one most commonly used as an injection, can cause lack of appetite and nausea (which might be what the drooling is from).

I would call the vet and tell them what is going on, see if they would think any of the injections would be causing this, and what you can do to help her at home until they see her again.

If this is truly a kitten, it would be best to take her back into the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would take the cat back to the vet. I don't have experience with kittens but my kitty is a senior. He was lethargic last night but only temporarily. He seems back to his old self. I'm still trying to reach his vet.

You might want to check into a video appointment if getting there is difficult.
The vet is indeed a but far, but they don't have video appointments unfortunately. Many thanks for your advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could have something to do with the injections. You didn't say what they were, but I suspect 2 of them were an antibiotic and a steroid. Not sure what the 3rd would have been. Antibiotics, especially the one most commonly used as an injection, can cause lack of appetite and nausea (which might be what the drooling is from).

I would call the vet and tell them what is going on, see if they would think any of the injections would be causing this, and what you can do to help her at home until they see her again.

If this is truly a kitten, it would be best to take her back into the vet.

The vet didn't tell what they were, I only got "he has a cold, I gave him medication and he should be fine in a few days" I don't even know how strong of cold it has.

I will observe until tomorrow, if there isn't any improvement I will take him to vet again. Many thanks for the advice.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is her nose still blocked? If so, you can try warming up the stinkiest wet cat food you can find (probably something fishy) so she can smell it better. Cats only eat when they can smell what they are eating. Additionally, try putting her in the bathroom with the shower running hot water so the steam in there can help break up the congestion.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking that English is not your first language, but you do very well with it. JUST IN CASE, I will specify that you put the cat in the same room with the hot shower, not actually in the water.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can use a flashlight right in front of him, you'll be able to see if his nose is blocked. If so, you can try using a warm compress (warmed water on a clean cloth) and gently hold it on his nose and use a small q-tip to GENTLY break up the blockage on the outer portion of his nose, so his nostrils will allow him to breathe better, if he allows it.
Running a hot shower and sitting with him in the room is an excellent suggestion as well.
Please let us know how your kitten is tomorrow. :)