Cat very interested in Hamster

mochaberry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! We have a hamster that we've had for over a year. We just adopted a 2 year old cat. He is very interested in the hamster, he knocks over everything in his way to get to the hamster. He hasn't tried to hurt him, but I'm afraid that he might. What can I do to discourage his interest in the hamster? Should I worry about it?

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
as long as you have a sturdy cage, don't worry. It's like cat TV.

If you have a plastic cage, it would keep the hamster safe from the cat, but they aren't very good for the poor old hamster (the Habitrail like things). If you have an old fashioned wire cage, there are a couple of things to consider: Hamsters bite... your cat may get a nasty suprise, if he sticks his paw or nose too close to the hamster. So it's more a worry, that the hamster may hurt the cat. Another thing is, Siberian Hamsters have scent glands (not sure which hamster you have). If they get stressed, they squirt those into a predators face. We can't smell it, but cats can and they hate it (my cat never went near the hamster cage again, after her first experience of that).

So, basically, unless you let the hamster run around the same room as the cat you shouldn't worry too much. The little critters are quite good at defending themselves. Your cat just thinks it is a very tasty mouse-like creature, and it will provide endless entertainment.

Make sure the cage is secure, so the cat can't break it open or push it off, and everything will be fine.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of the 15 hamsters I've had in my life, 5 of them were eaten by my kitties.

This was because of the cage structure. If the fat cat went and sat on the cage (wire or plastic) it would either have dent or break some part of it. And it would allow the smaller cat to reach in and get the little hammy.

Cage structure is pretty important now that you have a cat. Because like Madpiano said, it's like "cat tv". It really is. It's like watching really good restuarant buffet commercials for them, except with real food that moves.

If you have tubes, the kind that come out of the cage...you might be in trouble. They break off pretty easily. Anyhow, I dont think there is anything you can do to stop this behavior. It's natural. Just make sure your cage is sturdy, and not on something that it can be easily pushed off. (Lost 2 fish to kitties that way)

If you want to get really into it...I would suggest getting the kitty repellent spray and spraying that just by the cage, not in the cage obviously, but around it. Or lemon juice all around the cage. Cats hate the smell of lemon juice. Otherwise, again like Madpiano said, hamsters are pretty good defending themselves, and your kitty might learn soon enough how close he can get to the hamster.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am pretty confidant that my cats won't get into the cages (actually I have rats, not hamsters, but similar cage most likely)

I just worry about the little critters getting all stressed out and scared to come out of their little hiding huts. When they do my one cat will bounce straight up about 4 feet and land right on top the cage and it really freaks them out. Sometimes I cover the tank with a light, thin sheet, thin enough so it doesn't block the air but the cat is not as likely to notice the movement.

My one cat is pretty good at getting into anything though so I have to be careful.

smokiethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a guinea pig and my two kittens really are interested in it.They used to swipe their little paws between the bars to try to get her.The gp doesn't seem to be worried by them,she just wriggles her little nose. I was worried they might get her so I took some screen,the kind you use on your gutters,and made it two layers high all the way around the wire cage.Works really well and she can see out. I left the top alone because the cage is pretty tall and they can't get her that way. When our addition is done,we will be putting the gp in my sons room and shut the door......just a few more months!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two Gerbils in a ten gallon tank. Originally, they wer purchased to be my pets & to be companions to Twitch. I bought a ten gallon tank lid specifically for small animals & so far no one has gotten into the tank. A dog broke into the wire cage I had, so that one went in the trash. I also purchased a "pink princess" plastic cage. They are in it to run & play whenever I can supervise. They have tons of Carefresh in the tank, so they can burrow in & hide. They don't seem to mind a cat or two standing on top of them, or chasing them. Neither Lily or Twitch have ever gotten to them.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've posted before about my personal experiences with gerbils and Habitrail (not a good mix ... gerbils are big chewers and will eat through the plastic Habitrail is made of). In my experience, you'd be better off doing what white cat lover has done and move your hamsters into a large glass fish tank, with a sturdy, secure lid. Although Habitrail is intended for hamsters (it's not intended for gerbils), a seriously determined cat pouncing from a full charge from across the room could easily break a tube or crack the plastic. (Spike, my orange tabby, did this twice.)

Hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice et al do act as Cat TV. However, when my roommates (who owned the two gerbils that turned into seven gerbils that then became far fewer than seven ... *sigh*) took the surviving female gerbils to the Humane Society, they were not in great shape, and my friend who worked there concluded that a good portion of their poor condition had to do with the constant stress they were under from the cats. (I am not myself a good judge of gerbil condition; they looked fine to me.) That same friend who worked at the Humane Society also owns two rats and three cats (plus she fosters fur-babies for the HS), and her rats seem perfectly content to be ogled by cats, so it's possible that different rodents would have different reactions to being kitty TV.

I don't have any advice (other than don't use Habitrail and don't take the hamsters out of their cage when the cats are present), but hopefully my experience gives you some insight. Good luck with a happy, safe integration!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd put the hamster in a room the cat can't visit very often! Its natural for them to get at rodents. I had one of my cats (took a picture of him) sitting on TOP of the wire cage looking down at the hamster!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You all remind me a the Poodle I had as a young woman. I got a hamster from a friend and then decided to breed her so I bought a male. I had the males cage sitting above the females so my Dad would not know when I added a hamster to it.

WELL my Poodle knew! He would go to my Dad (who luckily paid no attention to him) and then back to the table I kept the cages on. He would peek into the male's cage and look back at my Dad as if to say "Can't you SEE?! She has ANOTHER of these creatures Dad!"

My poor Dad never knew till the female had babies and he heard them squeaking! LOL!