Cat very constipated

kuri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my cat to 2 different veterinarians this week because her stomach was hard and she hasn't been able to poop. The first vet gave her an enema because she was pretty backed up. He did some blood work to check on her kidneys and said the results looked really good and told me to start giving her miralax for 5 days. She passed some stool because of the enema. Two days later she still hasn't passed any stool since the enema so I took her to another vet that gave her fluids with a syringe and told me to start giving her lactulose along with the miralax. This was yesterday and when I woke up this morning, her stomach is still really hard and she hasn't pooped but has been able to pee. Should I wait for the meds to do their thing or is it possible she has a blockage? She is still eating and wanting attention but she will hide sometimes which is not normal for her. I would just take her to the vet right now but the ones in my town are closed till Monday and the next closest one is an hour away. If it is serious enough though, I will still take her.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What dosage of both meds were prescribed? Did the vet give you any advice about increasing one or both of them? I know that I have read on this site numerous occasions where the doses started out small and had to be increased in order to obtain results. As Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested, if there is an affiliated vet on call, you could at least contact them and ask about increasing the dosages and if so how long you can afford to wait if you see no benefit.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did they do an x-ray to check for stool? I would think something would've passed by now. Is she playing, grooming, and acting normally or is she lethargic. Is she eating? Try offering her only wet food for a few days and see if that helps. Try a pate plain meat, no fish variety so you can mix it easier. You can also add in a few teaspoons of water to make it the consistency of oatmeal to get extra liquid in her.