Cat vaccines can lead to cancer!

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remember reading a reader's letter in a cat magazine a couple of years ago about a lady who lost her cat to VAS. I've not heard of it since but then again, it wasn't until recently that I have had time to look at cat forums and cat magazines again. Now I'm not saying that it is prevalent in the UK or anything but there is one known case

tigerfanfrv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the vets i work with recomend giving vaccs on the thigh so that if the cat develops vas they can remove the limb if nessary. with that being said, in the close to 6 years working in veterinary medicine, i have only seen this twice.

its rare and what would you rather have, a cat current on all vaccines with a slim chance of developing vas or a cat who comes down with a preventable disease?? its cheaper to keep vaccines up to date

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still don't trust the FeLV jab enough to risk it on my cats, plus Ginger was a stray for at least 3 years so I think he has a good immunity. Plus I was bothered that the vet who tried to push it on mine didn't even suggest getting them tested first - Pebbles might have been tested 3 months before, but she had been going out since then.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read that many vet schools in this country have started teaching a protocol for boosters every three years after the one year boosters. This is so new though that most vets are giving the annual boosters. I am currently looking for a new vet for other reasons and that is one of the things I am looking for. I have medical insurance that covers twelve of the most common major problems in indoor cats. They don't have a specific timetable for vaccinations but they do require that they have had all vet recommended vaccinations. The vets in this area have made the leukemia vaccination optional and not recommended for indoor cats. The rabies vaccination is governed by state law, luckly Ohio only requires it every three years and that is how often vets in this area give it.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We give vaccines as far down the leg as possible, in case cancer does occur. It's easier to amputate a leg than try to get it out of the shoulders. We do not do leukemia unless they go outside. My own cats are only vaccinated every 3 years for distemper and rabies only.