Cat UTI

Tbrodman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat started urinating on a piece of furniture, took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with a UTI. She was given an antibiotic shot two days ago and she is still urinating on that piece of furniture. Any idea when she should be feeling some relief? Also, any suggestions on how to have her go back to her litter box?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What tests were taken and the results of those that concluded a UTI? It is important for you to know/understand these things, as it is often the case that one UTI will lead to future UTIs. Also, an antibiotic shot for an infection is usually a 14 day duration. On that note, it generally takes one-half of the time of the duration of the antibiotic to see good improvement. Otherwise, as suggested by fionasmom fionasmom above about cleaning the place(s) where your cat is inappropriately peeing is crucial. If they are not properly cleaned, it can be an invitation to the cat to go there again and again due to her smelling her scent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tbrodman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. What tests were taken and the results of those that concluded a UTI? It is important for you to know/understand these things, as it is often the case that one UTI will lead to future UTIs. Also, an antibiotic shot for an infection is usually a 14 day duration. On that note, it generally takes one-half of the time of the duration of the antibiotic to see good improvement. Otherwise, as suggested by fionasmom fionasmom above about cleaning the place(s) where your cat is inappropriately peeing is crucial. If they are not properly cleaned, it can be an invitation to the cat to go there again and again due to her smelling her scent.
Thank you, I believe they did some sort of urinalysis and they did blood work. The vet's office did mention that it was the 14 day shot, so I feel some relief that it will/may take 7 days to see improvement. We have been cleaning that area with Nature's Miracle Enzymatic Cleaner. We have put a waterproof mattress cover over it and she has peed on that too. I have washed that in the washer with bleach. Any recommendations on a better cleaner?

Tbrodman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you look at the article that fionasmom fionasmom provided? Puppy pee pads might be an option in the meantime, as they are disposable and can be replaced as needed. Right now, she is feeling some sort of relief going in that same spot, so it might take some time before she feels enough better to use her litterbox. You might consider placing the litter box either nearby or on top of the place she is going, just to remind her that is the right 'place to go'.

Tbrodman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you look at the article that fionasmom fionasmom provided? Puppy pee pads might be an option in the meantime, as they are disposable and can be replaced as needed. Right now, she is feeling some sort of relief going in that same spot, so it might take some time before she feels enough better to use her litterbox. You might consider placing the litter box either nearby or on top of the place she is going, just to remind her that is the right 'place to go'.
Thanks again, I did think about putting her litter box there, especially at night. Might have to go to the disposable pads.