Cat UTI?!!!?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no, there's a happy pee-pee dance many of us practice! Believe me, two years in I'm still thrilled to see nice big pees! You're doing everything right, and my own vet didn't tell me to switch to a prescription food immediately until we had the sample post-antibiotics. In fact, the e-vet said I might be jumping the gun when I asked HIM about prescription food - I was ready to buy it there and then if suggested!

My guess is that your vet will ask you to come in for an exam post-antibiotics and you'll both go from there re what treatments, dietary and otherwise, may be needed - assuming Abe keeps peeing ok and you don't notice any odd symptoms.

Abe is probably going to feel a little better every day, urine wise - hey, I had a UTI last year and I can't tell you how much relief antibiotics brought, even if my tummy was upset and I didn't feel like eating much. It's amazing how stoic cats are - I definitely was far more of a baby than my Dante was.

You are definitely a great pet parent - I've heard stories where people didn't notice urinary issues until the poor cat was almost dead - and these are nice people, not uncaring meanies.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by petguy78

Also I gave Abe an extra half of can of his wet food tonight and added about a 1/4 cup of water to it which he ate/drank immediately. I figured it would not hurt to get more water into him. My plan is to go to my vet as soon as I can to figure out what to do as far as a diet.
I have seen any number of cats (especially very young ones and very old ones) who can't eat dry food and even have trouble with wet food, and I've had to make a "slurry" of the wet food to get them to eat it. As long as it doesn't sit around very long, that won't hurt them at all.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

He's eating Blue Buffalo dry and wet, not purina kibbles.
So he is. Thanks!

Originally Posted by petguy78

at the E vet they did get a urine sample and did a culture. The culture did show struvite crystals and a bacterial infection but no blood. He put Abe on Clavamox for 14 days and said to go to the vet at the end of the prescription or sooner if I did not notice improvement. I plan on calling tomorrow to see what they say. My vet was out on Friday so tomorrow will be my first chance to speak with him. I just checked the litterbox and found a large clump of urine which makes me happy (scary isn't it). Also I gave Abe an extra half of can of his wet food tonight and added about a 1/4 cup of water to it which he ate/drank immediately. I figured it would not hurt to get more water into him. My plan is to go to my vet as soon as I can to figure out what to do as far as a diet.
That's great, PetGuy! (It's funny what we find ourselves celebrating, eh?!) And you're right, of course, the more water the better.

Hopefully, this will be resolved in short order and Abe never goes through another case.

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petguy78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate everyone's help. I, as mentioned before, am new to cats. I am very thankful to all of you for taking your time to assist me in caring for Abraham!!!