Cat uses litter box okay, but...

101catnation

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
everytime he goes outside, he frantically selects a place to pee, as if holding it too long! Any thoughts why? Have you seen this behaviour before??

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
How many times per day does he urinate in the litter box? Are the per clumps normal size or small? How often is the litter box scooped? How many litter boxes amdo you have? Any other cats in the house? Is he neutered? At what age was he neutered? Any known health issues?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

101catnation

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many times per day does he urinate in the litter box? Are the per clumps normal size or small? How often is the litter box scooped? How many litter boxes amdo you have? Any other cats in the house? Is he neutered? At what age was he neutered? Any known health issues?
1. not sure, but he does use it

2. normal, given that all cats get extra water in canned to warm it up

3. once a day, sometimes more

4. normally 9; recently, 11

5. yes, 4 others = 5 in total

6. yes neuetered

7. I believe @ 5-6 months but exact age is unknown as he was found alone at a remote camp site scavenging and sleeping in dying firepits, thus the name "Embers".

8. It was difficult to free him of parasites, but once we did he has been physically well. He is the most affectionate/possessive cat ever, perhaps due to being abandoned. He was one of the most difficult cats to 'settle in' at home, it was clear he wanted to trust people but was significantly anxious. Anxiety is present during feeding time; as a result we offer multiple feeding times/snacks to defray his concerns about food. (when he was brought home from neutering, he was overly aggressive - I thought this was hunger related but have since noticed he acts this way in response to Ketamine (sedative for surgery) which has the effect of heightening sensitivity to noises and light - he basically freaks out and must be given appropriate quarters to recover). The cats all got along famously for 3 years, but his anxiety has become an issue since Spring, when we had to leave for 3 days and 2 nights, and the cats stayed inside for that time. I hired a vet student to feed 2x a day and stay over night, which

i thought was for the best, but in retrospect, maybe not. She did not report problems - nor much of anything, despite the fact I stressed I was anxious about leaving them and needed her to report their activity, something she had to be reminded to do. My getting ready was done in a flurry which was abnormal behaviour that probably upset him.

ANYWAY, the summer which they spend outside 9am - 4pm with access to me in and out at all times was occasionally interrupted with aggression b/w Embers and Bebop. Bebop, a similarly aged Siamese has also had general anxiety issues; we had him on a very lo dose of Buspar for quite a few months and gradually weaned him off the same spring. He rather "bloomed" this summer, becoming affectionate with me and occasionally meowing like Siamese are known to do. Before this, Bebop was our cat-welcoming committee, always the first to befriend additions and always the first to run around with others in a 'kitten' sort of way, but any noise frightened him, and he had nothing to do with us, save for an unusual habit of lying on a blanket b/w my partners feet while my partner "smacks" his haunches left and right, again and again, harder and harder. It could be mistaken for abuse except that it was the only thing that sent him to his happy place, after which he would fall asleep in "co-pilot in the cockpit position".

Since the weather cooled, they are inside more. Embers stays inside during am hours due to fights with a neighbour cat by owner agreement; Bebop recently hurt his foot and has to stay inside, tho I do let him out for short periods when it is dry enough and it won't affect his bandage. The fighting has become more regular, once every 3 days. I have seen these; it is not clear who is the aggressor. At first I thought it was Embers - certainly he is more capable. But recently I have seen Bebop suddenly get a focussed look on his face and sort of robotically follows Embers around, who appears to be trying to walk away (previously praised for this behaviour). This morning a loud fight errupted; Bebop suffered all the injury, mostly facial, one to his side and one on a front paw pad that resulted in limps and salt-water soaks after the litterbox.

During this summer Bebop has taken up spraying outside as my senior cat does on his 'constitutionals'. Embers just squats, and tries to cover it up. I am taking them both into the vet Weds 4pm for help. Would like to consider your input as well!

Thanks for Reading!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. I would first get Embers to the vet to check for a UTI. With him being a sensitive kitty to begin with, the added stress of fights could certainly trigger a urinsry issue. I would do both a urinalysis and send off a urine culture.

Have you ever tried any of the natural calming AIDS like Feliway diffusers or Composure?

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am by no means an expert and hopefully a vet visit will shed some light on the subject, but barring any health concerns, I wonder if it is just not a territorial thing.  His urgency to urinate outside might be more his desire to cover up a roaming cats scents being left behind.  Especially if he is not able to spend as much time outside; that (a) gives other cats more opportunty to come in and try to mark off a territory and (b) gives him less time to do it in a less conspicuous manner.

Even in our apartments, many residents have inside cats, and there are a large number of feral/stray cats.  The outside cats find the buildings that have inside cats and go around pee near those buildings trying to dominate areas.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Having another cat trying to mark territory could also upset the balance between the existing cats.  If they previously had everything worked out, but a new cat enters the picture, it changes the dynamics.  (Even if the cat is not yours)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

101catnation

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same thought this morning; got a sample for urinealysis and am waiting for those results. I really suspect there is an environment/behaviour thing. I've "owned" cystitis and UTI's before, this is not like that and his urine is clear without blood.

The fighting with neighbours cat happens on the neighbours property; Embers likes the woods, many birdfeeders, and various rodents there. "Max" the neighbours cat takes great exception to this. My neighbour & I have this arrangement, but she is making the mistake of letting Max see Embers on "his p.m. shift" at her house. I'm sure this drives Max crazy & adds to his tension. However, Embers does not enjoy the p.m. shift as much for hunting; now the weather is cooling he hardky stays out more than 2-3 hours.

There was a very bad incident with Bebop just prior to our cat hours arrangement. I can't remember exactly, but Max was very upset, and his sister Anna took off after Bebop who just happened to be on the periphery. She bowled him over, and he came running home quite agitated. No physical harm, but since then I've seen Bebop spraying our property which I've never seen before but am sure he has seen our senior cat do; also, I don't think he's left our property since (which is pretty normal for him, but he was venturing into the neighbours this summer to sample the shady spots and look around.)

Though my memory of this is sketchy, I am pretty sure Ember's wasn't there at the time, but maybe Bebop understood it was a place Embers went and now has it in for him??? Well, there's the possibility they are competing for me as well. I've been spending time keeping them apart, then having them together when they are all playing in a very controlled manner. It has gone well, but something will turn on in Bebop's head, he starts following and/or staring; doesn't lash out, Embers tries to slip away, and if he can't, Bebop starts vocalizing and if a fight begins, Bebop gets a lot of scratches (IF we were to let it get this far, now we are very careful)

It's weird; Bebop doesn't take perpetually losing for an answer and Embers tries to get away. But then, that's a cat for you!

So tomorrow we are taking Bebop in for a behavioural think-tank... I'll hear about Ember's urinalysis soon, but I don't expect it will shed light on his "squat-on-the-first-vegetation-outside-the-door" routine. He is needy when hungry, but I think Bebop's upsets with him scare him; he really just wants to slip away if he can (they've always been friendly; Bebop generally prefers cats to humans and used to groom him, etc.)

Thanks for all your thinking!!

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well cat's can hold a grudge, and who knows when it will surface, but it still might be more than Anna and Bebop (or to cover my bases, more than just your cats and your neighbors cats.  There may be a stray cat coming round when you and your neighbor are not watching and that could be causing the issues between Bebop and Embers, as well as Bebop and Anna and the other cat.  I am sure you are aware of the social dynamic cats work out amongst themselves.. but if you have a shakeup to that pecking order, then pandamonium ensues.  Like at work... sometimes you don't have a very good boss... but not a very bad one either.  Everyone accepts that there is a boss though and goes there seperate ways.  However, if that boss quits or gets fired and two people want the same position, there will be some infighting... sometimes it gets better, but sometimes people just get bitter. It kind of sounds like they are sending around some signals but nothing is getting worked out.

You may be right that they are competing for you as well.  I wouldn't say that mine compete for me, but they do act differently when I am standing there and when I am not. Mine don't like to be cuddled if any other cats are around (make them look weak)  and they get more squirrly and try to boss the other ones around too (trying to impress, I guess).  And, I totally agree that Embers could be scared of BeBop and marking as passive agressive trying to find a comfort zone, which could be setting off your neighbors cat.  LOL, is really could be a lot of things.