Cat used to enjoy park on a leash - scared after vet visit

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TLDR: cat used to like to go to the park, now is afraid to go outside since last time we went outside he went to the vet to get fixed. Looking for advice on whether I should just force him back to the park immediately or see if I can coax him there slowly at his own pace if anyone has experience/knowledge.

Longer explanation: My 6-month-old Pythagoras is an indoor cat, but to let him get some fresh air and a little extra playtime from what's available inside I take him to the park on a cat leash. Because he really hates being in the cat carrier (how unusual) and prefers to have his feet down on something to being carried like a baby, I would usually put him in a open-top bag and carry him (I figured this out after a few tries), then put him down at the park to let him wander as I held the leash. I was unfortunately extremely ill with a terrible case of the flu and didn't take him out for about 6 weeks, and then the first time I took him out again was to the vet to get neutered. Then it's been extremely rainy for the last 2 weeks. Today was the first sunny day that I had free, so I tried to take him out. He came over when I jingled the harness and sat still while I put on the harness (this is his normal behavior), hopped in the bag as per normal, but literally the moment we got out the front door JUMPED out of the bag, clawed at the front door, RAN up the stairs, clawed at the apartment door, and went inside. (I am not in the habit of using the leash as a means other than to keep him from getting lost, so I went along and didn't make an attempt to keep him from going where he wanted to go.)

It seems like I could either:

*Keep trying to take him a little further towards the park (which is less than 1 block away) for a few days in a row but let him go ahead and run home.

*Put him in a closed carrier or go ahead and hold onto him and just take him and let him be upset and get there so he gets to the park and not the vet and let him see that yes going outside can still be fun.

If anyone has some experience on which of these would be a better tactic (or any third option), I'd love some advice. Thanks all!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have experience with cats being spooked like this, but I do with dogs and horses. My instinct is to slightly force the issue, and take him to the park as you normally would - but be sure he can't get away from you on the journey.

I think I'd pick a day when I have plenty of time, go with the bag and leash, and arm yourself with his most favourite treat. If he tries to run home, try to get him to just stop and be still, reward him with treats and praise, then continue on. Do this as many times as necessary until you get to the park (by which time he should have worked out that he's not heading for the vet. Basically, every time he freaks you're asking him to face it rather than run, and then asking him to trust you and move forward. If he needs to stop and process things, fine, but running away isn't an option. If you feel he's been pushed far enough, you can always go home early - but on your decision, rather than his fear. Hope that makes sense.

The other route would be to use a closed carry bag for him, maybe give him some Composure before you leave the house to help him chill, and take him straight to the park. When you let him out, be sure to reward with treats - reinforcing that this is a positive, fun place to be.

You might find that Rescue Remedy helps him let go of any anxiety caused by the vet visit.

In future, I might use a closed carry bag for vet visits - just to be sure this doesn't happen again ;)

Last edited: