Cat Urine VS Cat Vomit....

stephanieings

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, I will give you the short of my problem.  I have a 14 year old male cat who is the the light of my life.  We came home from our Thanksgiving festivities yesterday to find about 2 big piles of cat vomit (mostly food), one pile of a hairball, and about 2 stains of "stomach juice" on the floor in the bedroom beside where he has been sleeping up on my bed.  I cleaned them all up very well with my spot cleaner and didn't think much more of it.  This morning when I went to make up our bed I smelled an odor that concerned me.  After sniffing closing near where he has been laying, I noticed a smell of what seemed like faint cat urine.  I pulled the comforter back and you can see a stain line there.  It is also faintly noticeable on the blanket and sheet just underneath.  It smells like urine but I know how much this cat pees and if he peed on the bed I feel it would be much larger and much stronger.  I had a cat that ended up with a brain tumor and when she started losing control that was the first thing she did "wrong" but the stains were much larger and stronger.  My question is, could this stain that I am smelling be cat vomit instead.  There was a tiny little stain of vomit and food right there on the bed as well.  I am just praying that this stain is vomit and not urine because the thought of having to start considering what steps to take with an ailing cat that is such a big part of my life has already put me to tears today.  Has anyone else ever heard of cat vomit or stomach juices smelling like cat urine??  Thanks!!

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cat urine has such a distinct smell.....I've never personally encountered vomit that had any similarities in that regard. Does your cat have a diagnosed health issue?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor baby.  I've never smelled that; usually they smell very different with my kitties.

Does it look as if he forcefully threw up?  Maybe he leaked a little because of that?  I hope it was a one time thing for you. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanieings

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I have washed the comforter and everything that had a smell to it and it is completely gone so I am gonna assume that it was some stomach juice of sorts from his vomiting spell.  I know that when my previous cat had her brain tumor issues and tinkled on the carpet, it took a month of Sundays and products galore to even remotely get that smell out of it. There is just no remote smell of cat urine in them now so I am happy!   I have had 2 diabetic cats in the past that we had to give daily insulin shots to for 8 years so I have always been paranoid about any of my cats becoming diabetic themselves.  After reading some more googled information, I have found someone who said the smell from their cat's spittle and juices from vomiting was very similar to cat urine and it was because of an underlying diabetic issue, because of the ketones.  For that reason and the fact that my cat is 14 and a little overweight, I am gonna go get his blood tested at the vet on Monday just to be sure.  The poor guy!  I think I have had it tested about 5 times in the past 5 years just to be sure he is good!  Thanks for responding......today has been a rollercoaster of worry!  I swear, I think I care more about my cats than I do most humans because they are just so good to me and love unconditionally!  :)