Cat Urinating Outside Of Liter Box

BigRich3113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have three cats, two 6 years old and one a little under 2 all of which are males. All three have been neutered. We got the third cat as a stray kitten in November of 2016. He has grown and now is fairly bigger than the other two older ones and can be somewhat of a bully. That being said, there really was no issue. Then About a month after moving into a new house, my sister and nephew moved in. About two or three months later we started to notice the occasional spot of urine on the downstairs floor. This seemed to continue for a month or two and then seemed to stop. We had a few theories on why he started doing this. One being that it was the back door and maybe he smelled a stray cat from outside. Another idea was that maybe he did not like that we had two new people living with us and maybe it had him a little bit stressed out. Nonetheless it had stopped and then a couple months later they had moved out. Fast forward another 2 months later, and my girlfriends father started to live with us as he recovered from hip surgery. About a month in it starts happening again. At first in the same area, and then eventually upstairs on the floor directly in front of the liter box. He seemed to like my sister, and was okay with my nephew, however would not let my girlfriend's father anywhere near him. This made me believe this could possibly be the cause of the issue. I bought a wireless security camera to find out what cat was committing the crime and to observe how he went about it. One time, he did it 5 minutes after I scooped the litter boxes. He got up onto the ledge of it sniffed it, and then sniffed the floor and did his business. Two other times, he would walk right into the room and urinate. The same area every time. Another theory I had was maybe it started to be an intimidation factor from the younger bigger cat. This younger larger cat of ours (his name is Chip) also has a habit of spraying in the litter box. He assumes a squatting position and then proceeds to raise his behind as he violently urinates up the side of the little box and sometimes out of it onto my wall. So possibly that could be cause of the issue also, but if so why did it just start all of a sudden. I really am leaning toward outside visitors living with us and stressing him out. My girlfriends father has healed up and moved out this past Saturday, but I have still come home twice to urine puddles on my hardwood floor. So here I stand, coming to all of you for help and suggestions. I am becoming a very desperate man. Also, if anybody has any suggestions on the younger cat chip, spraying up the side of the litter box and wall it would greatly be appreciated also. Thank you for your time!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you hit it with stress. And I think that this will lessen over time now that things are back to normal...although it may crop up again if someone new comes in to stay!

First, if you haven't already, you need to get a good enzymatic cleaner and clean everywhere he has gone. If you aren't certain about all of the spots, a black-light urine detector is not that expensive. You want to remove all traces of the scent, as that will trigger him to go in the same places again. So that should help with Nameless (what is this cat's name?). As for Chip...he's neutered? If not, that may or may not stop the spraying. His habits are pretty formed right now. HOWEVER, what will help is this:

It is available from Chewy. There are other, similar boxes available from other sources, as well. He can spray away, your walls are safe, and you can just wipe clean for odor control.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigRich3113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you hit it with stress. And I think that this will lessen over time now that things are back to normal...although it may crop up again if someone new comes in to stay!

First, if you haven't already, you need to get a good enzymatic cleaner and clean everywhere he has gone. If you aren't certain about all of the spots, a black-light urine detector is not that expensive. You want to remove all traces of the scent, as that will trigger him to go in the same places again. So that should help with Nameless (what is this cat's name?). As for Chip...he's neutered? If not, that may or may not stop the spraying. His habits are pretty formed right now. HOWEVER, what will help is this:

It is available from Chewy. There are other, similar boxes available from other sources, as well. He can spray away, your walls are safe, and you can just wipe clean for odor control.

Sorry, the floor urinating cat is named Charcoal. As for the sprayer, what is so special about that liter box? as of now I have them using 2 Rubbermaid container that are 18 inches high and he still can get a little bit over the wall.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH...I didn't realize that you already have a high-sided box. I didn't see that. Determined little thing, isn't he? I'll put my thinking cap back on, and try to come up with SOMETHING!

BigRich3113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat does this when he eats too much dry food and not enough canned.
Charcoal prefers dry food, so what I do is give him a little bit at the bottom of his bowl and put wet food on top so he has to eat that to get to the dry. He gets about a 50/50 split, but I will start trying to pull back on the dry food and see if that helps. thank you!

BigRich3113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OH...I didn't realize that you already have a high-sided box. I didn't see that. Determined little thing, isn't he? I'll put my thinking cap back on, and try to come up with SOMETHING!
Yes he is! The odd thing, is on very rare occasions he just calmly pees like a normal cat. I have thought about building a custom liter box but would hate to have to build something ugly out of wood that would weigh 50 pounds.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes he is! The odd thing, is on very rare occasions he just calmly pees like a normal cat. I have thought about building a custom liter box but would hate to have to build something ugly out of wood that would weigh 50 pounds.
LOL, I am sure you do not need to build a custom litterbox. I saw one at Petsmart that is half covered with the option to fully cover it.