Cat urinating in our beds and sofas

werra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat suddenly urinating in our beds and sofas. This is the first time he is doing it. It started a week ago when I haven't bought a new litter sand I noticed he suddenly urinated in our sofas so I bought a litter sand  immediately thinking that he don't want to pee in the litter box because it is already dirty. Now, the litter box is already clean he still urinating in our beds, curtains, and bathtub. I don't know why he still doing it even if the litter box is already clean now. This is the first time he did that since I got him. What could be the reason why he suddenly peeing in our beds

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 It started a week ago when I haven't bought a new litter sand I noticed he suddenly urinated in our sofas so I bought a litter sand  
A lot of cats do not like changes in litter.  Unless it is similar to their old litter or the same, they will usually "protest" a change.  Put the old litter back and see if it helps.  If not, he could have a UTI and he might need to see a vet.  Or if he is not neutered yet, this could also be it.  He is marking his territory.  But try putting his old litter back in the box again and see if that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

werra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A lot of cats do not like changes in litter.  Unless it is similar to their old litter or the same, they will usually "protest" a change.  Put the old litter back and see if it helps.  If not, he could have a UTI and he might need to see a vet.  Or if he is not neutered yet, this could also be it.  He is marking his territory.  But try putting his old litter back in the box again and see if that helps.
What I bought is a new stock of his old litter sand because it seemed dirty before when he started doing it but even if it is clean  now he still doing it. He did it again last night in my bed. I also check if he is lethargic but he is not. I gave him canned cat food and  cat treats, he ate it immediately. And yes he is not neutered yet.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, well I would make plans to have him neutered ASAP.  If it becomes an ingrained habit with him, he may not stop.  So you want to get that taken care of right now.  Un-neutered males will spray everywhere all the time and it is very hard to clean up because they will keep doing it. 

werra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed that he is licking his genitals really often. The only sign he is showing that he might have a UTI is peeing outside the litter box and licking his genitals often. Other than that there is no symtoms of straining while peeing, crying when licking his genitals. His appetite is good and I try playing with him and he seems active. Should I be alarm that this could be a UTI or he is just marking his territory? 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure how old he is... More than likely, he is in puberty or of breeding age now so he is marking territory because of this.  Male cats never come out of heat.  If it doesn't already, it's going to start stinking bad soon.  It may to visitors already and you are just desensitized to it.  Soon he will become a terror and almost impossible to live with because he will start wanting females to mate. I would call your vet and have a neutering appointment made.  He'll have to have a pre-op check up to make sure he is healthy enough for surgery.  So they will check for all of that first.  If he hasn't had vaccinations yet, they will give him those, too... Then they will set the appointment usually for a week later. 

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I noticed that he is licking his genitals really often. The only sign he is showing that he might have a UTI is peeing outside the litter box and licking his genitals often. Other than that there is no symtoms of straining while peeing, crying when licking his genitals. His appetite is good and I try playing with him and he seems active. Should I be alarm that this could be a UTI or he is just marking his territory? 
Inappropriate urinating and licking his genitals are a couple of the early classic signs of FLUTD (or FUS, or Idiopathic Cystitis--when no cause can be determined). Normally FLUTD is not accompanied by an infection, as this is an inflammatory condition due to crystal formation. UTIs, which are bacterial in nature, are infections and somewhat rare in kitties.

If he does have FLUTD/FUS/IC, it can become deadly pretty quick, especially for a male kitty when they become blocked by the crystals that form. Your vet will do a urinalysis to look for crystals, white blood cells, and bacteria in the urine. He will also check his urine pH. The vet may also take x-rays to look for the presence of bladder stones. If bacteria is present, I would have the vet include a culture and sensitivity (C&S) of his urine to determine the best antibiotic if a UTI is involved.

IMO, I wouldn't consider his inappropriate urinating territorial in nature until physical problems are ruled out.

So yes, you should be alarmed and take him to the vet ASAP to get him checked out--and check into getting him neutered as soon as possible.

Last edited:

werra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure how old he is... More than likely, he is in puberty or of breeding age now so he is marking territory because of this.  Male cats never come out of heat.  If it doesn't already, it's going to start stinking bad soon.  It may to visitors already and you are just desensitized to it.  Soon he will become a terror and almost impossible to live with because he will start wanting females to mate. I would call your vet and have a neutering appointment made.  He'll have to have a pre-op check up to make sure he is healthy enough for surgery.  So they will check for all of that first.  If he hasn't had vaccinations yet, they will give him those, too... Then they will set the appointment usually for a week later. 
OK thanks I will take him to the vet. He is 8 months old, is this age a sign of puberty in male cats?

Last edited:

werra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Inappropriate urinating and licking his genitals are a couple of the early classic signs of FLUTD (or FUS, or Idiopathic Cystitis--when no cause can be determined). Normally FLUTD is not accompanied by an infection, as this is an inflammatory condition due to crystal formation. UTIs, which are bacterial in nature, are infections and somewhat rare in kitties.

If he does have FLUTD/FUS/IC, it can become deadly pretty quick, especially for a male kitty when they become blocked by the crystals that form. Your vet will do a urinalysis to look for crystals, white blood cells, and bacteria in the urine. He will also check his urine pH. The vet may also take x-rays to look for the presence of bladder stones. If bacteria is present, I would have the vet include a culture and sensitivity (C&S) of his urine to determine the best antibiotic if a UTI is involved.

IMO, I wouldn't consider his inappropriate urinating territorial in nature until physical problems are ruled out.

So yes, you should be alarmed and take him to the vet ASAP to get him checked out--and check into getting him neutered as soon as possible.
ok thanks I will take him to the vet just to be sure

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK thanks I will take him to the vet. He is 8 months old, is this age a sign of puberty in male cats?
Yes, they can go into puberty at about as young as 5 months though it's usually 6-7 months old when puberty starts.  Though the licking could be a sign of illness, and the vet will check for it.  It is more than likely him just being in puberty....

werra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they can go into puberty at about as young as 5 months though it's usually 6-7 months old when puberty starts.  Though the licking could be a sign of illness, and the vet will check for it.  It is more than likely him just being in puberty....
Thanks for the help. I noticed now he licks his genitals but he paid more attention on grooming himself like licking his belly. I asked my vet about peeing outside the litter box he said that if there is no straining or no blood in the urine, he is just undergoing puberty and marking his territory just like what you said.