Cat Urinates Outside Of Litter Box (anxiety?)

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

So while ago, I posted something in health forum regarding UTI and overweight. Long story short, one of my cats started pee outside of litter box. It happened once a month, then it became once a day, so I brought her to the vet and the vet mentioned that it could be due to her overweight, and UTI issue. The vet prescribed UTI pill and I gave her occasionally. I also changed diet she gradually lost weight. However, when I stop giving her the pill, she still peed outside of litter box despite of weight loss.

After visiting vet frequently for check-up and all, we did more test on her including urine sample, blood test, as well as X-Ray. The result came out fine, and vet mentioned that this is most likely behavior issue. Now I am at the point I am not sure what caused her having such behavior.

Past few weeks, she was fine, and I did not see her peeing outside of litter box that frequent, maybe 1 or 2 that I hardly noticed, but recently, I start seeing the issue again. The thing is that when she peed, I walked there, and even though I did not yell, she automatically hides to the place that she usually goes. Past 3 events, I saw her peeing 1. when I was able to wake up (and I give them breakfast after), 2. middle of the day (few hours before the meal time) 3. 30 mins before dinner meal time. I thought if it is relates to meal time but nothing has changed and I often notice her peeing not close to meal time as well.

Anyone can help me what can possible cause her this behavior? It has been few month already and I really want to know why. Thank you so much

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How does she get along with the other cats? How many litter boxes do you have? Is she pooping in the litter box ok?

If it's just pee, it could be that she associates the litter box with discomfort from when she had the UTI. So maybe try adding another litter box with a different type of litter.

Also, ensure you are using an enzyme cleaner to clean the areas where she pees, otherwise she'll still be able to smell her scent and could continue peeing there.

Here's some TCS articles with more info.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello rubysmama rubysmama , thank you so much! I have three cats now and have two litter boxes. She poops ok and also pees fine, but when she starts to pee outside of litter box, it lasts for few days. Regarding other cats, she is ok with one cat but so-so with another cat. For this situation, this cat (who urinates) tends to sometimes bully another cat, but not everyday.

Hello FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , it was Antibiotic. When vet prescribed, I gave her everyday for few weeks and during this time, she did not pee outside of litter box. Well, she did at the end even with antibiotic pill, and the vet also said that I need to refrain her giving the pill, since the symptom did not improve after few weeks. That's when we had blood work, X-Ray, and urine sample analysis and everything came out fine.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you put out another litter box or two? With 3 cats the "rule" would be 1 per cat, plus one. So 4. They might not use all 4, and then you could take one away, but it might help. And put them in different parts of the home, so the cat is less likely to have an audience when it needs to use the litter box.

How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When they did the x-ray, what area of her body did they do? Just asking, not knowing how old your cat is, if the vet was looking for arthritis? If she has arthritis that sporadically acts up, that might explain the intermittent peeing outside the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whc216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama At this moment, I live in small place but soon, I will move to bigger place and I will definitely give it a try. Thank you so much for the help!

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner My cat is around 6-7 years old. I didn't hear the vet mentioning about arthritis because we were mostly looking at if it is something to do with kidney but I can certainly ask about that. Thank you so much for the help!