Cat urinates on me when I sleep.

chellby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I'm very new to the site, so I hope this is in the right thread.

I got my DMH black cat, Jinx, in March and she was a doll. Peed a little in some spots but we were able to clear things up. Except the bed peeing. I would constantly clean it up with the right cleaner, and still she would pee.

But the thing is, it's only in one spot, only when we're sleeping in it, and only when the box is dirty. Well, 2 boxes because we got another kitten in May but she loves him. (They're spayed/neutered) 

I know it seems like a simple fix. "Just keep the boxes clean!" But I did, yesterday. One box was extremely clean and the other was in 'eh' condition. And she still peed on us. She always does this after she's done sleeping on my pillow and goes to do her own thing, comes backs and pees. And of course I always wake up to her in the act but since it's dark I don't realize what is going on.

We have tried locking them out for a few days (up to a week) and it doesn't change a thing. She doesn't go anywhere else. It's almost like she's punishing me for not cleaning it in time.

Now, I have taken her to the vet and spoke to her when the problem first started up and she ruled out anything medical. Mostly because she started this when she was approx. 16wks. She was pretty dead set on it being behavioral.

I don't know what to do, and my fiance is getting sick of it. To the point where he wants to take her back to the shelter.

if i fit i sit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
don't take her back to the shelter please, keep her with you and try different methods and have patience. 

you can try ways like using a firm voice when she does it and saying no, and i have seen on this site on some thread, someone said you can try hissing at her (just like she would if a cat was doing something displeasing to her) when she does that, it might be more understood for her since it is in cat language.

it is said that cats don't understand punishment, they only understand praise, so maybe you can try it a few times with your cat, whenever she uses the litter box treat her. 

i do not have alot of experience in this, but these are just a few stuff from my knowledge. 

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... I'm not sure what your kitties problem is.

CALL JACKSON GALAXY! Just kidding.
I'm sorry, know this must be awfully frustrating for you. 

It does sound behavioral. Are there any actual cat behaviorists in your area? It's really strange that she only pees on you. I have never had an experience like this with any of my cats. 

And do NOT let your fiance convince you to take her back to the shelter. She is part of your family! Stress to him that she will probably be put down (unless it's no-kill) if you take her back. Maybe that will change his mind. Continue to do your best and keep us updated.

Sending you good vibes dear! 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chellby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do not fret. She will not be going back. Even if it means she can't sleep in the room. As I said, she pees no where else. She just punishes me for not cleaning.

Have you at all had success with comfort zone feliway stuff?? I heard it might help but it's expensive.

And it's hard to discipline her when she does it because I'm asleep, and if I do wake up, it being dark and not wearing my glasses I cannot see her peeing. D:

It definitely is behavioral because we thought it was because of the new kitten but she did it waaaaaaay before his arrival.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just thought of something.
Do you leave your door open when you're sleeping so that she can get to her box if she needs to? If not, try putting a litter box in your room maybe she will start using it instead of peeing on you in the middle of the night! 

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chellby, I'm currently using the Feliway Plug in, and was using the spray on our bedframe after the peeing incidents occurred. So far, so good! My cat is also on Prozac... but, I totally understand how it is expensive, but it's just more pricey initially when you get the setup, the refills aren't bad... still pricey, but not horrible. If you can, get them on Amazon. That's definitely the cheapest way to go, just make sure it's an authorized dealer.

So anyway, I've had some success with Feliway so far. The only thing I can suggest is just cleaning the litter boxes every single day before you go to bed, no matter what. I know you mentioned that already, I'm just unsure on how vigilant you are about cleaning. Maybe that will help? Perhaps your cat is super particular about a clean box.

Best of luck to you!!! :D

chellby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the door is open but the boxes are in the bathroom. We used to ha e one in the bedroom but the smell was too much because they dont bury their poop.

I do clean the boxes every other day, but sometimes I miss a day and tell myself "I'll do it when I wake up." And then regret it later when she pees. I think she knows that if she pees on me, we'll wake up and clean the box. And its not directly on me, more between the two of us, near our shoulders. It sucks if we don't wake up.

When she did it yesterday, she knew she was in trouble because she hid under the table, and if we got near, she bolted.

If I get the feliway, should I get the plug in or just the spray?? Which one would you recommend would be better?? Spending the $20+ on the product is cheaper than $3.50/load on laundry.

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Chellby  What I did is I initially used the spray when my cat was confined from entering our bedroom. She had peed all over our platform bed frame/floor around it, so what I did for a few days (maybe a couple times a day) is spray the edge of the bed, where she had gone. Mind you, this was all AFTER I busted my butt with an enzyme cleaner!

So after a few days of that and when we decided we wanted to let her back in, we installed the plug in. I haven't used the spray since, but it's good to have both to freshen up the area where they had gone. So, it may be a little different in your situation since it is directly on your bed, so let that be your call on how much and how often to do it (2-3x a day at first, to get the synthetic pheromone smell there). Cats are much less likely to pee where they smell this pheromone, whether it really is their own or this synthetic stuff. Where ever you put the plug in, make sure it is a good distance away from the litter box. Last thing we want is for them to be like "Oh, this box smells like my facial scent... guess I'll pee on the bed!" lol. Hope that helps!!

chellby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I think I'll try it.

I do have Nature's Miracle and soaked the spot where she has been peeing, just hard to get it in there because she peed on the memory foam and not very easy to clean when I live in an apartment.

I might just try the spray first and spray all over the bed and she if she continues. Like you said, she's probably extremely picky with her box but who knows. The other kitten doesn't seem to have any issues and pees only in his box...or the old litter box that doesn't hold any litter.

That's where I'm thankful that their boxes are in the bathroom. 

I just really hope this stops, I just want to wake up and not fear that their is a huge mess on my blankets again.

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Chellby

Hello! Sorry you are having this pee problem! I had a somewhat similar problem with one of my kitties for a few months after adopting them. One of them  (Michaleto) would pee in his cat beds, in a freshly washed laundry basket full of clothes once (yuck) and even on me one night when I was sleeping. I woke up with pee hair!

I talked to a cat behaviorist, and Michaleto now wears a Feliway calming collar as well as us having the Feliway Diffusers in a few rooms in the house. He is a different cat! He no longer pees inappropriately, and is a bit calmer. (He used to spook and hide under bed at every sound). Along with the collar, the behaviorist told me that it is possible he was feeling sort of left out or taking a backseat to the other cat, Cezare, who is definitely the Alpha. She recommended spending quality one on one time with Michaleto and giving him my undivided attention, especially before bedtime. Make sure your kitty knows she has your attention.

Overall, the behaviorist told me that Michaleto was doing all this peeing as a cry for attention in a way....

I hope this helps! Good luck!

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nature's Miracle is great...I know you've been using it but just beware it will make the smell worse before it gets better! Our room stank to high heaven after I did my first round of cleaning. Oy!

I do hope your situation improves. Dealing with pee is horrible. I also agree with @darlenam8, make sure you're giving the cat a fair amount of attention. Something must be off, and this is their way of telling us. It's times like these we wish these kitties spoke our language!

chellby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to try the feliway and see if it helps.

It might be for attention, but I don't believe it is. Well, maybe. She's the type of cat that wants to be left alone to sleep wherever she wants, and decides if she wants pets when she wants. Like at this very moment, because my fiance and the other kitten are asleep and I just got home, she's extremely loveable and won't let me type because she wants to lick my fingers. I did notice though that when we took the kitten away for a day to be neutered, she was a lot more affectionate because he was gone. The little one is definitely alpha, but he's also a few months younger and very playful. Like to the point where she hides from him just to get some quiet time to sleep.

So maybe the feliway will calm him down so she can relax.

Haha, this is my second time typing this because Jinx decided that one hand wasn't enough for her and freaking hopped on my laptop and pressed the power button. Cats are too funny.

I might get some stuff tomorrow from PetCo since they're having a clearance sale thingy and might be able to get some feliway cheaper. Maybe Amazon price but I don't want to wait for a package, plus with neighbors stealing my packages and us being in a no pet apartment, probably wouldn't be the best idea.

chellby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, yes, I know Nature's Miracle is just nasty smelling. I'm almost out and bought OUT! from Walmart. Oh my goodness, that smells even worse and pretty much didn't do anything. Just kind of mixed with the smell of urine.

My neighbors swear that OdoBan was their savor for their 'medical' dog (I can't remember the term right now...) and I might try that out because he says it smells like baby wipes. Which would smell a heck lot better than urine in my bed.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have to adopt a twice-a-day scooping routine for the litter boxes.

Does your other cat harass her when she uses the litter box?

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've also heard that Urine Away works well too, I think some vets carry it. Maybe your local vet will have some good suggestions as well :)

chellby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't really harass, it's more of that he follows her to the bathroom, maybe swats at her tail, then leaves. But if it was because of the other cat, she would pee on us all the time. This habit has no schedule, except when I forget to clean

darlenam8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot to tell you too...

Chewy.com has great prices on the Feliway calming collars. You can get a 3 pack for $16 whereas at Petco it's about $16 for one.

You'd be surprised what they do for attention. The behaviorist told me it was possible since his brother was the Alpha, Michaleto's inappropriate peeing could also have been his way of saying "MINE" to whatever he peed on. They did have a battle of sorts over claiming their owner-ME. The Alpha cat won and I think this was part of the issue

But not all problems are so easy to figure out. I hope you find an answer :)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might be overcome without spending any money and do as Peaches08 suggested and clean the boxes twice a day.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seriously, YES, clean, clean, clean those boxes.

Your situation sounds oh so simple - only pees when you forget to clean, and she's not even asking for all that clean (see my guys needs below).  She's not punishing you, she is finding an acceptable spot to toilet.  I mean, if my toilet was crudded up with ****, stinking of urine, and stuff wiped all over the seat with flies roiling around it (the WORST scenario you can imagine, because to a cats nose, that is how it is.  Their nose is so much more sensitive than ours, plus htey have to lick themselves clean.), then I'd find a better spot to toilet too!

We have an ongoing pee thing with one cat too, but it is a bit more involved as he is both a stress pee-er (and that would be the 'intangible' cat stress that sometimes we don't know about until too late...like if we are coming down with an illness for example, he knows before we do), and a fastidious litter tray pee-er.  By fastidious, truely, fastidious.  The past week I have seen him go to pee on the bed (or a pillow), and moved him on, and gone to check on the litter box.  Sure enough, if there is ONE deposit in HIS box (the one he likes better than the other, even though he will happily use the other one), then he goes to find a better toilet.  It is also about where the deposit is.  He seems to have a favourite peeing place in the front left corner for his morning pee.  And I might be on my knees cleaning the box....but that is not quick enough if he wants his morning pee!!  He is a character.  So in comparison, your case is easy :)

I clean 3-4 times per day and we have 2 boxes for 2 young cats.  We are aware that a third box would be good - maybe for you too.  And maybe, if you are forgetful at cleaning, you could do a third box that only gets taken out at night time when you go to bed, and is in/close to your bedroom.  Clean, and put away in the morning when you get up. That way, it would always be non-smelling for the human as well as cat noses.

As a minimum, twice per day is an acceptable and appropriate cleaning regime (more in times of illness).  Less than that, and really, you are just asking for problems, sooner or later, from someone or other.  I also am an advocate for non-clumping clay litter, as this is horrid for the humans (so stinky, so dusty in my past experience), and potentially deadly for the cats (ingested/breathed in clay clumps inside them).  It also allows a human to be 'lazy' in litter maintenance (again, from my past).  I use a recycled newspaper litter and there is NO odour whatsoever.  Of course, I keep it clean...and am on in as soon as I smell a fresh deposit!

I also use the feliway diffuser.  And we KNOW when it has run out...Kato will head for the bed (so it really helps a lot, but remember, it is a recipe of solutions that will work, not just one thing).  He has even peed on top of me while I have been sleeping (pleasant, thank you my lovely boy).  And I need glasses to see too, so it is a comedy act!

However, with all of that, we live in a non-pee smelling house.  We did have to get rid of our mattress  and bedding and start fresh.  We bought a mattress protector so it will never again need replacing for pee.  And we have thrown out certain pillows - they were all the same type he targetted, so we figured they must have some sort of chemical smell to them that was attractive.  We also put away all pillows as soon as we get up in the morning, inside a cupboard so there is no temptation.  And we make the bed as soon as our feet are on the floor, as it is rumpled sheets/doona that seems to attract him.  THen we also smooth over 'his' blanket and create 'his' little bed on top of our bed.  AND we go crazy with the mushy praise whenever we see him use the box.  

Hope you get success!!

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Seriously, YES, clean, clean, clean those boxes.

Your situation sounds oh so simple - only pees when you forget to clean, and she's not even asking for all that clean (see my guys needs below).  She's not punishing you, she is finding an acceptable spot to toilet.  I mean, if my toilet was crudded up with ****, stinking of urine, and stuff wiped all over the seat with flies roiling around it (the WORST scenario you can imagine, because to a cats nose, that is how it is.  Their nose is so much more sensitive than ours, plus htey have to lick themselves clean.), then I'd find a better spot to toilet too!

We have an ongoing pee thing with one cat too, but it is a bit more involved as he is both a stress pee-er (and that would be the 'intangible' cat stress that sometimes we don't know about until too late...like if we are coming down with an illness for example, he knows before we do), and a fastidious litter tray pee-er.  By fastidious, truely, fastidious.  The past week I have seen him go to pee on the bed (or a pillow), and moved him on, and gone to check on the litter box.  Sure enough, if there is ONE deposit in HIS box (the one he likes better than the other, even though he will happily use the other one), then he goes to find a better toilet.  It is also about where the deposit is.  He seems to have a favourite peeing place in the front left corner for his morning pee.  And I might be on my knees cleaning the box....but that is not quick enough if he wants his morning pee!!  He is a character.  So in comparison, your case is easy :)

I clean 3-4 times per day and we have 2 boxes for 2 young cats.  We are aware that a third box would be good - maybe for you too.  And maybe, if you are forgetful at cleaning, you could do a third box that only gets taken out at night time when you go to bed, and is in/close to your bedroom.  Clean, and put away in the morning when you get up. That way, it would always be non-smelling for the human as well as cat noses.

As a minimum, twice per day is an acceptable and appropriate cleaning regime (more in times of illness).  Less than that, and really, you are just asking for problems, sooner or later, from someone or other.  I also am an advocate for non-clumping clay litter, as this is horrid for the humans (so stinky, so dusty in my past experience), and potentially deadly for the cats (ingested/breathed in clay clumps inside them).  It also allows a human to be 'lazy' in litter maintenance (again, from my past).  I use a recycled newspaper litter and there is NO odour whatsoever.  Of course, I keep it clean...and am on in as soon as I smell a fresh deposit!

I also use the feliway diffuser.  And we KNOW when it has run out...Kato will head for the bed (so it really helps a lot, but remember, it is a recipe of solutions that will work, not just one thing).  He has even peed on top of me while I have been sleeping (pleasant, thank you my lovely boy).  And I need glasses to see too, so it is a comedy act!

However, with all of that, we live in a non-pee smelling house.  We did have to get rid of our mattress  and bedding and start fresh.  We bought a mattress protector so it will never again need replacing for pee.  And we have thrown out certain pillows - they were all the same type he targetted, so we figured they must have some sort of chemical smell to them that was attractive.  We also put away all pillows as soon as we get up in the morning, inside a cupboard so there is no temptation.  And we make the bed as soon as our feet are on the floor, as it is rumpled sheets/doona that seems to attract him.  THen we also smooth over 'his' blanket and create 'his' little bed on top of our bed.  AND we go crazy with the mushy praise whenever we see him use the box.  

Hope you get success!!
Just my $0.02 but this really sounds like the best advice, especially since it seems pretty well-established that your cat only pees on your bed when her litter box is dirty. After reading this, I'm also deeply grateful that my cat isn't that insanely fastidious that he would refuse to use a litter if it had a single poop or clump of pee in it. I clean once a day on average, occasionally twice a day, and my cat is fine with it.

Also, I think tammyp mentioned something else important that hasn't really been mentioned in previous posts -- your cat isn't punishing you or taking out her frustration at you. I know sometimes it can really feel like that, or that they're doing things out of malice, but I try to remind myself that there's no ill intent behind behaviors that annoy me.

Good luck.