Cat urinary issues

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! My last post was describing some issues Rory was having with having trouble peeing. I had to bring him to the vet because he was unable to pee, and it turned out he had a blockage and he had to be brought to the emergency. He is currently there right now, and of course it’s very expensive :( I’m so stressed and I was wondering, if anyone has ever gone through this? They said he was doing much better, he currently has a catheter and he’s on fluids and they said he has lots of urine coming out and is looking much better. They still don’t know what the underlying cause is, so they want to proceed with further testing being urine sample and x-rays which is an additional cost. X-rays are what will be able to determine if it’s stones, but the bill is getting very expensive and I’m feeling overwhelmed. I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this and had any advice? The emergency has been great but last night when I brought Rory, the vet I was talking to was very pushy on proceeding with EUTHANIZING Rory! He is turning 4 in August... that made me very upset and I was in shock. Obviously that was not an option for me. Am I doing the right thing?

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sawa sawa
Hi,
Sorry, to hear about your boy and hope he pulls through.
My sisters cat went through this. She then moved to an all wet diet and there was no further issues.
Sometimes stress can be a factor but for male cats and all wet diet is safer that may work in your case as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this! Makes me feel more at ease. How old is your sisters cat and do you know which food brand she decided to go with?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At Rory's age, euthanasia shouldn't even be a consideration. Sometimes, vets will suggest this if they are concerned about a care taker's worry over costs being either too overwhelming or impossible to pay for. So, start getting ideas on the various costs for what the vet wants to do, assess how you might be able to pay for it, and go from there. Look into carecredit.com, ask about payment plans, and other forms of payment options. No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

Get some specifics on what the vet is proposing to do, why, and what alternatives and potential outcomes might be. The more you know, the more you are armed to ask questions from members on this site.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Absolutely he is not a candidate for euthanasia at his age and with a treatable condition. Fiona herself had bladder stones which had to be removed surgically after a number of bladder infections. As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's owner said, get all the facts and quotes and proceed from there.