Cat upper eyelid is inflamed

optimispar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, just wondering whether anyone has dealt with this with their cat. My cat was fine this morning and has suddenly developed what looks like a pimple? on his right eyelid. His fur seems to have fallen off in that area as well. I'm almost positive this wasn't there only a few hours ago, although maybe it just only became noticeable. Could this be an allergic reaction to food? He was given some Orijen kibble for the first time (only 10 pieces or so mixed in with his normal kibble).. He also tried a new wet food (Weruva BFF can) but that doesn't seem to have any ingredients that are new to his diet..

He's not scratching at it or anything and seems otherwise perfectly normal and in good spirits. What can I do for him? Is gently wiping it with a damp warm muslin cloth okay? Or do you think it requires some sort of prescription from the vet to fully heal?
145BAE5C-6C94-4A99-AB60-9635F70D774E.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I could be something like a style. But if it's not bothering him, then I'm not sure. whenever I get a style, it bugs the heck out of me. Yes, you can definitely wipe the eye with a warm cloth to help relieve it, but if it doesn't improve in a day or two, I would take him in to be seen.

I've never heard of food causing something like this,although it does often effect their heads and neck if they have an allergic reaction. But usually it causes immense itching if that's the case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

optimispar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could be something like a style. But if it's not bothering him, then I'm not sure. whenever I get a style, it bugs the heck out of me. Yes, you can definitely wipe the eye with a warm cloth to help relieve it, but if it doesn't improve in a day or two, I would take him in to be seen.

I've never heard of food causing something like this,although it does often effect their heads and neck if they have an allergic reaction. But usually it causes immense itching if that's the case.
It looks to be more itchy now. He doesn't scratch at it but does spend more time grooming that side of the face. The inflammation has gone down a bit now and is less pink (possibly because he's been sleeping for two hours and not touching it).

I've had styes before and they were always irritating & painful. Not sure if cats get styes as wel but if they do I'd imagine it'd be painful to the touch too..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Bug bite, bee sting? Being more itchy now could be a sign of healing. If he isn't really scratching at it and just grooming it more than usual, it probably is bugging him to some degree. Although the fur could have come out, it is also possible it just looks that way due to the swelling stretching the skin.

I would watch it closely to see if the swelling continues to go down and the coloring returns to normal.

If your vet accepts pics, you could send them one and ask if they would be willing to recommend some kind of OTC treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

optimispar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It went down a lot the day after my post, and was nearly completely gone the following day. Now it's like that swelling never happened. Since his eyes are back to normal now, I'm gonna hang on to the picture and just ask about it to the vet at our next appointment! Thanks guys!