Cat Under the Weather?

kry13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found a stray boy cat outside this winter. I couldn't leave him out there in the cold, so we took him in. Upon bringing him inside he slept for about 2 days straight, which I thought was mostly to the shock of being in a new house and confined to a section (we have other cats we had to get him used to). We brought him to the vet to get neutered, tested for hiv/leukemia and get some shots about a month ago. They didn't mention anything seeming odd thankfully.

We let him go in and outside, otherwise he loves to mark his territory all over the house. One day, about a few weeks ago, he came inside and slept on his favorite spot and seemed really tired. He slept for the majority of what I'd say was 2 days. He usually is very vocal and affectionate, but during this time he just wanted to sleep. Didn't care too much to play or react to being pet. His breathing seemed faster, about 55-60 breaths per minute. He ate but not as much because he didn't seem to want to do much in general. This went away in about 2 days and he was back to being the typical boy we know. I thought maybe he was just feeling under the weather a little and slept it off. However, now he seems to be doing the same thing once again. Sleeping a whole lot, breathing faster, not very interested in doing much.

Anyone have an idea of what this could be?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
You should take him to the vet for some testing, starting off with a complete blood work-up.   I would be hesitant to guess what the problem might be but agree that it's something to be concerned about.  Unless he's well up in years, he shouldn't be wiped out for two days, just from playing outside.   Even then, it's not a normal response. 

I wish I could be more help but I don't have any experience with that pattern of exhaustion.  Hopefully, if this is familiar to someone, they'll see your post and chime in with some ideas.

The vet really does need to see your boy sooner rather than later.  Please let us know what you find out.  And good luck to you both!