Cat Turning Head And Chewing On Nothing

Pikanyaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Two nights ago, my 1.5-year-old orange tabby Max started doing this weird thing occasionally where he turns his head to the right and chews, like he has something stuck in his teeth. Later, a few hours after dinner, he threw up. At first I thought it was just because I fed him and my other cat some stale, expired treats earlier, and they gave my other cat a hacking/coughing fit a few minutes after eating them. (They were soft salmon treats, but they were hard and the last ones in the bag.)

Max seemed fine all day the next day, ate breakfast like normal. We fed them a half dinner at their usual time while we went out to dinner ourselves, and when we came back, we noticed a small bit of throw-up in the kitchen. We decided it was a hairball because it had quite a bit of orange fur in it (other cat is mostly white) and not much solid food, although Max has never had a hairball before. They ate their other half of dinner with no issues, and no biting motion.

This morning and today he was perfectly fine again. This evening, however, Max started doing that chewing motion to the right side again right before dinner and sometime after, about once every 15 minutes or so. He hasn't thrown up (he's napping in the cat tree right now), but I decided we should probably take him to the vet since I tried looking in his mouth and don't see anything very apparent stuck in there, though he doesn't let me look for long.

His behavior is still mostly normal, and he still has an appetite. He doesn't seem to be in any excruciating pain, and this behavior is only occurring at night.

Before I go to the vet though, does anyone know what might be causing this? I've seen a few theories online, some mild and some downright scary. He has had an ear infection before, so that seems the most likely cause, but I just want to hear from others too.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could google “bruxism” in cats, there are some videos on YouTube so you can compare if your cat is grinding his teath. If he is, he needs to be seen by the vet as there are several causes of it, none of it could be ignored.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats hide their pain. That may be excruciating pain for him. That could be a broken tooth or it could be hard treat stuck in his tooth or gums. It may have nothing to do with his teeth. None of us can diagnose this from a Youtube video. Take him to the vet.

Cats don't understand dentistry and that teeth can be extracted. So this cat is probably just doing his best to resign himself to whatever may be bothering him. Don't expect him to cry out in pain. He's far more likely to just stop eating or to chew less which could result in vomiting depending on the size of food he's swallowing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pikanyaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats hide their pain. That may be excruciating pain for him. That could be a broken tooth or it could be hard treat stuck in his tooth or gums. It may have nothing to do with his teeth. None of us can diagnose this from a Youtube video. Take him to the vet.

Cats don't understand dentistry and that teeth can be extracted. So this cat is probably just doing his best to resign himself to whatever may be bothering him. Don't expect him to cry out in pain. He's far more likely to just stop eating or to chew less which could result in vomiting depending on the size of food he's swallowing.
I still plan to take him to the vet tomorrow. I just wanted to hear some theories in the meantime.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. He seems to be turning his head to the right as he makes the chewing motion. Is that the ear that his infection was in before? Maybe it has returned? Changes in air pressure from temp/humidity changes at night that are affecting that ear? The throwing up of hair could have been purely coincidental.

Glad you are taking him to the vet. Please let us know what happens!

Pikanyaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update- So this morning I found two bits of throw-up. One was old and must’ve happened overnight, and the other must have been right after breakfast when I went to go change clothes since it was fresh. The overnight pile had a small piece of crafting foam in it. (We keep that stuff in our closet since Max ate it once before and had to go to the hospital after it started altering his appetite. The closet was accidentally left cracked open one night and the cat snuck in and att ked the fom again, but I didn’t consider that since it was a couple weeks ago and he seemed fine since.)

Anyway, vet appointment just finished. Max’s mouth and ears were clean, and given the throwing up, mouth motions, and lack of pain when she pressed his abdomen to check for blocking, she thinks he was having a bad casenof acid reflux. She gave him a shot and asked us to give him some over-the-cpunter antacids for a few days and hopefully that’ll be it.

TL;DR: Vet diagnosed acid reflux. He should be fine.

Pikanyaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PS: I should of course mention, she specified acid reflux from an upset stomach, caused by the foam.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's good! But, now you have to wonder if the crafting foam is part of the equation, and that he actually got into it even before you realized it?!?

Oh, yeah - just saw your second post.

Tiffanyjgb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PS: I should of course mention, she specified acid reflux from an upset stomach, caused by the foam.
I know this has been a super long time but did the antacids cure this problem? My cat is doing the exact same thing. Exactly the same as in the video. If so, what type of med did you use?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tiffanyjgb Tiffanyjgb - The OP hasn't been back on this site since 2019, so it is unlikely that you will receive a response. You might ask your vet what they would recommend - you can even take a video of your cat and share it with your vet if that would help any.