Cat trying to sneak outside

coloratura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lately one of my cats has been more and more curious about the outside. She will watch you out the window and when you walk towards the door she will be waiting right there to slink out once it is open. Tonight she snuck past my fiancé as we were walking in the door and got out the back door for just a second. That's the first time she's actually been successful in getting out. This is brand new behavior (in the last couple of months) and thank god my fiancé noticed her out of the corner of his eye. Any ideas on how to make this stop?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Lately one of my cats has been more and more curious about the outside. She will watch you out the window and when you walk towards the door she will be waiting right there to slink out once it is open. Tonight she snuck past my fiancé as we were walking in the door and got out the back door for just a second. That's the first time she's actually been successful in getting out. This is brand new behavior (in the last couple of months) and thank god my fiancé noticed her out of the corner of his eye. Any ideas on how to make this stop?
It's easier to solve the access problem than the behavioural instinct, I suspect.  I have cat "air locks" at entrance points - foyers, mudrooms and stairhall doors so there's no outside access.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coloratura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IndyJones: Yes.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My senior cat has liked to slip out the door if I leave it open for more than 10 seconds.  He's done it his whole life.  He doesn't go anywhere more than about 6 feet to roll around on the concrete or sit in the grass.  He would probably panic if I left him outside alone and he couldn't get back in when I go in.  Since he likes the outdoors, I started taking him out to sit in the sunshine for 5-10 minutes on nice days.  He seems to enjoy it.

Your kitty is spayed?  Maybe you could get her a harness and go out with her for a bit now and then.

I just automatically look down when I open the doors to come in or go out.  You just have to watch.  It becomes a habit you don't really think about after awhile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coloratura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My senior cat has liked to slip out the door if I leave it open for more than 10 seconds.  He's done it his whole life.  He doesn't go anywhere more than about 6 feet to roll around on the concrete or sit in the grass.  He would probably panic if I left him outside alone and he couldn't get back in when I go in.  Since he likes the outdoors, I started taking him out to sit in the sunshine for 5-10 minutes on nice days.  He seems to enjoy it.

Your kitty is spayed?  Maybe you could get her a harness and go out with her for a bit now and then.

I just automatically look down when I open the doors to come in or go out.  You just have to watch.  It becomes a habit you don't really think about after awhile.
I don't think she would go far if she did get out but you never know. I live in a downtown area next to a river so I'm terrified of what could happen to her. She did slip out of an old apartment but was only in the hallway. My door leads to the outside and no way to block it so I will just have to be super vigilant. She slipped past and then actually realized she was outside and turned and came back in on her own.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 She slipped past and then actually realized she was outside and turned and came back in on her own.
That's kind of what my cat does.  "Oh, I'm out!  Now what do I do?"  lol  He looks at me every 30 seconds we're outside to make sure I'm still there.  When I'm ready to go in, I just say "Come on, Tan Man," and he follows me back inside.

The first year I had him, I was afraid he would get out and run away, but he never showed any intention to go very far from me or the door.