Cat trying to hump male kitten

ig77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I adopted a kitten 5 weeks ago and vet told me that he was 6 weeks old at that moment (apparently not). He was lonely, so I decided to adopt another kitten 3 days ago. My older cat always go for the neck of the other one and today he managed to bite him from his neck and he started to hump him. At first, I thought that the older cat is trying to show he is the boss but when the younger one screamed I pulled the older cat and his penis was erect. This was a surprise to me since I thought he was 11 weeks old. Younger cat always feels threatened when they are awake because of the older cat always tries to rape him (there is no problem when they are sleepy). What should I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ig77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They aren't neutered. Mostly seperate rooms but short times of being together. They can sleep together like in the pic and after waking up there is no aggression from both sides but after the older cat starts to go for the neck in order to hump the younger one, things go ugly.

(old one is left, young one is right)

impossible cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off they are both completely adorable. If I were you I would look into getting them both neutered. Male cats who have been neutered are not as concerned with fighting for territory, or mating. And try to set them up "base camps" so that the younger cat who is getting beaten up on can gain some confidence. Then slowly re-introduce the cats with smell then slowly with seeing each other. You can find many good examples of this on line here is a link to a great video explaining how to introduce two cats

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yep, male cats do that. I take care of a colony of cats and the un-neutered ones would try to "practice" on the younger ones whenever they could. You can get them neutered as soon as they weigh over 2lbs, so if they've already started this kind of behavior I would go ahead and get them fixed now.

The neutered cats do still try and hump the others now and again, but it's no where near as often or as aggressive as it used to be. It can take up to a month for their hormones to settle down once they've been fixed so the sooner the better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ig77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. I will neuter the older one as soon as his heat ends. A reintroduction might not be necessary since the picture is after the unpleasent incident (they are sleeping like that while I'm writing this.), what do you think?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Males cats don't have heat periods.  They are ready to go whenever!  You should just make an appointment at the vet.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think it would be a good idea to keep them apart for at least 24 hours after being neutered, even if you get them done on the same day. The anesthetic can make them groggy and they'll be covered in strange smells from being at the vets, so they won't recognise each other at first.

You could try letting them see each other after they've recovered and watch how they react. Some cats just bounce back the next day as if nothing happened, with them being younger they probably won't have any problems.

Just in case there are some things you could try here.

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

Last edited:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, male cats do that. I take care of a colony of cats and the un-neutered ones would try to "practice" on the younger ones whenever they could. You can get them neutered as soon as they weigh over 2lbs, so if they've already started this kind of behavior I would go ahead and get them fixed now.

The neutered cats do still try and hump the others now and again, but it's no where near as often or as aggressive as it used to be. It can take up to a month for their hormones to settle down once they've been fixed so the sooner the better.

:nod:
Oh, I know all too well about neutered cats still humping. We won't go into the antics I've seen with my cats and dogs. Except for the one - he had his duck toy that he used to hump. He was the one that used to carry socks around like babies too.

And definitely, sounds like they can be fixed now! I had my boys fixed at 13 weeks, they're just fine (they're over a year old now) :nod: