Cat Tries To Drink Water But After Sip, Stops

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hopefully she's starting to recover, and will be eating again soon! My cat was ravenous when he had a steroid shot once, so I'm hoping your kitty gets hungry asap. Since she kept down the meds, that must be a good sign!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixie Perfect

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oddly she doesn't want me watching her drink. She moved the water bowl with her paw to a position where she can lay on it facing away from me. She's such a pain in the rear.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oddly she doesn't want me watching her drink. She moved the water bowl with her paw to a position where she can lay on it facing away from me. She's such a pain in the rear.
Cats are so totally weird like this sometimes. I've got one that gets super shy if I watch him eat. Even my asthmatic can seemingly hold an attack off if I'm looking at him when it starts =/
When they aren't feeling well but start doing stuff like this, well... I don't know about you but I've never been so happy to have them acting like a pain in the rear. I had a cat get a URI bad enough that he refused food, ANY food, for days and once his medicine began to work he showed interest and after that he became a food-holic again.
Seriously, this cat uses his front feet to HIT me when I get meals prepared. Jerk xD

Pixie Perfect

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are so totally weird like this sometimes. I've got one that gets super shy if I watch him eat. Even my asthmatic can seemingly hold an attack off if I'm looking at him when it starts =/
When they aren't feeling well but start doing stuff like this, well... I don't know about you but I've never been so happy to have them acting like a pain in the rear. I had a cat get a URI bad enough that he refused food, ANY food, for days and once his medicine began to work he showed interest and after that he became a food-holic again.
Seriously, this cat uses his front feet to HIT me when I get meals prepared. Jerk xD
My snowshoes, aka "Boots", is a pain in the rear no matter what. I could probably trade stories with you all day I'm sure.

She can be a shy eater / drinker, but around me she's generally careless. The way she tries to get attention is to be annoying though. Her tail is so powerful, she slams it on a table over and over and you can literally hear it throughout the house. It's like she's learned how to use it to maximize the sound with it. She literally can wake people up with it. Well, last night she started slapping that tail on a table. It's not as powerful but it was a great sign to see.

She hangs around her water bowl when she wants to drink now. It's like she's trying to slowly trust it again. She even lays her head on it for a bit between sips. I just really hope I can get her to eat in the next couple of days.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My snowshoes, aka "Boots", is a pain in the rear no matter what. I could probably trade stories with you all day I'm sure.

She can be a shy eater / drinker, but around me she's generally careless. The way she tries to get attention is to be annoying though. Her tail is so powerful, she slams it on a table over and over and you can literally hear it throughout the house. It's like she's learned how to use it to maximize the sound with it. She literally can wake people up with it. Well, last night she started slapping that tail on a table. It's not as powerful but it was a great sign to see.

She hangs around her water bowl when she wants to drink now. It's like she's trying to slowly trust it again. She even lays her head on it for a bit between sips. I just really hope I can get her to eat in the next couple of days.
I'm cracking up at the Power Tail, as we have one that uses her tail like an angry dog and slams it into walls, cabinets, other cats, us...I swear she was born with a miniature bullhorn on her rear end because her tail slamming is LOUD. I think she was probably genetically engineered to have the loudest tail possible, LOL xD
I'm sure you do but keep the water fresh and room temp if possible and keep the bowl super clean. My cats hate cold water but like it room temp. Sometimes splashing your fingers in the water will get them going (drinking). Some cats will drink fresh water from a squeaky clean bowl.

Pixie Perfect

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has always been a big time drinker. She loves water. Probably around 8 ounces a day normally. But yes, I always keep it at room temperature and I've been washing it after most of her drinks since she got sick.

She wants you to know she's there :) That's why my cat does that with her tail ... that or to tell me she's getting agitated for some (or no particular) reason.

Just gave her Prednisone. She took ~95% of it in. Fingers crossed it works up her appetite! She ran off from us hissing and ... in pure Boots fashion, laid in a pile of sawdust (we're renovating a room right now ... it's on pause). So I brushed her off and laid her on my bed, she seems content with being there. I'm gonna take it as a good sign that she's not actively trying to hide right now. Maybe the antibiotic is really kicking this things butt.

I just wish she'd eat now.

Pixie Perfect

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just pet her on the bottom of her spine and she raised her butt in the air. That's something she hasn't done since Wednesday. Very encouraging!

Pixie Perfect

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's cleaning herself! Finally!!! It started off by her putting the paw in water and licking it off, and then she started licking other parts of her body. Now if she'd just flipping eat!

Pixie Perfect

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She ate a tiny bit last night! Some of the food she was given by the vet, too. She's going to her food bowl and investigating it now. Also, she's scratching stuff, rolling around when I pet her, bathing herself, scratching herself. She's really starting to be a cat again!

Pixie Perfect

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the parasite test came back negative. We may be looking at an immune mediated disease (autoimmunity) or cancer. It's never easy, it's never a quick solution :(

And she's doing great btw. She's eating, going potty from both ends, her personality is coming back. This sucks.

Pixie Perfect

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet is convinced it's IMHA :(

Her blood count went up another percentage point, her liver values are normal, but everything indicates it's immune mediated. He said we're lucky to still have her, but prepare for the worst. Looks like she's gonna need to be on a steroid for the rest of her life, unfortunately. We may have her for a day, a week, a month, or 5 years, there's really no telling.

The good news is that her red cells stopped going down, the bad news is her baby red blood cells are normal, and they should be way above normal considering the steroids. That means it's probable that her immune system is attacking the baby cells, or could be in the bone marrow. There are a lot of things that are just odd about her case, and he admitted it that they're odd, but he's convinced it's IMHA.

I'm just hoping the Prednisone keeps this at bay and she can live a long, enjoyable life. One way or another, I'm grateful I have this little extra time with her, because in cats this disease usually means they die too quickly.

She's doing great, even after sedation. We let her out of the cage and she went straight to the water bowl and drank a lot. She just had a bite to eat even after we gave her the antibiotic. Fingers crossed she sticks around for a while.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet is convinced it's IMHA :(

Her blood count went up another percentage point, her liver values are normal, but everything indicates it's immune mediated. He said we're lucky to still have her, but prepare for the worst. Looks like she's gonna need to be on a steroid for the rest of her life, unfortunately. We may have her for a day, a week, a month, or 5 years, there's really no telling.

The good news is that her red cells stopped going down, the bad news is her baby red blood cells are normal, and they should be way above normal considering the steroids. That means it's probable that her immune system is attacking the baby cells, or could be in the bone marrow. There are a lot of things that are just odd about her case, and he admitted it that they're odd, but he's convinced it's IMHA.

I'm just hoping the Prednisone keeps this at bay and she can live a long, enjoyable life. One way or another, I'm grateful I have this little extra time with her, because in cats this disease usually means they die too quickly.

She's doing great, even after sedation. We let her out of the cage and she went straight to the water bowl and drank a lot. She just had a bite to eat even after we gave her the antibiotic. Fingers crossed she sticks around for a while.
:grouphug:
Don't give up. It's hopeful that the pred will help, IMHA can be controlled but it's tricky keeping numbers monitored.
It's good that her liver is normal, so she's not fighting this on top of a very important organ that helps keep the body clean!
I'm glad she's drinking on her own and eating some, too. Please keep us updated!!!! :hangin:

Antonio’s Abla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Pixie, i hope yoir cat is better now. My cat is in the exact same situation - hiding in places like bathroom, vomiting clear water, not having appetite, gagging but not throwing up, faint color nose…

i am desperately trying to understand what might be causing because our vet cannot pinpoint what :(