cat trees- yay or nay?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is a little cat paradise there! 

I've heard most do fine.  I would just think a tree with several platforms would be easier than one that is extremely vertical with narrow perches.  My mother and I both have trees from Armarkat and they have held up well!  Both are about 7 years old now I think.  I've kind of forgotten when we bought them! 

ETA: My mother has the same or a very similar one to the tree on the far right in mickNsnicks2mom's top photo.  She has 3 cats and my 2 year old has tried to climb it as well...
thank you! when i was looking at houses to buy, some of what i was looking for was specifically for my mickey and snick. and even before we moved in (it took over a month before closing on the house) i had bought several more cat trees, so my two would have places to enjoy throughout our home. there's more cat furniture than people furniture here!

i prefer the cat trees with two or more platforms, with the thought that it'll be less likely that my cats will fight over who gets which platform. as long as there are enough platforms for everyone, there's no problems.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been looking at cat trees lately, just seeing what is out there. Glen and I will have our own home eventually, and I've sort of been making a list of things I would like to see in it. What I don't understand is why some of them are so expensive for such little tree. For example, this one. Why in the world is it $650.00!?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have been looking at cat trees lately, just seeing what is out there. Glen and I will have our own home eventually, and I've sort of been making a list of things I would like to see in it. What I don't understand is why some of them are so expensive for such little tree. For example, this one. Why in the world is it $650.00!?
Likely no good reason. Aramark is one of the big producers of inexpensive cat trees. I have seen better quality trees that cost a lot more but honestly the Aramark trees are good enough. The biggest damage cats do to them is damage done from them clawing on it and the higher cost trees are just as susceptible to that  kind of damage as the cheaper ones. And the Aramark ones have the advantage that you can buy replacement parts for pieces that get torn up. The posts are easy enough to wrap with new sisal rope if they get tattered or you can buy new ones.

http://www.armarkat.com/categories/Classic-Cat-Tree/

kittendaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is mine and Dora loves it. Olivia has started to play around with it a little bit and eventually she will be climbing it like her sister does. Now mind you I have two 12-14 week kittens so it's perfect for their size. Here is a picture.

Last edited:

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is a Little Lotus from Refined Feline I got on sale years ago. They no longer make this size, just the taller one. I ordered replacement carpet pieces and a sisal mat this past year. It has the top and middle level and the cubby hole on the bottom which has carpeting inside. The top lifts off and has a foam pad on the lid. The sisal mat is on the back side of the cubby hole. The cats love it.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just received my first cat tree yesterday.   I bought this Aramarkat one from Amazon as well 
Will try and post a pic with my kitty later :) 

It's under a 100 dollars.  Nice size for my cat and apartment. Good quality.  It was fairly easy to set up. Took maybe under an hour.  The hardest part was getting the package up to my 2nd floor apartment. The box was a bit heavy but I did it on my own.  Also the shipping is free from Amazon and it shipped in just a few days. 

At first I was nervous my 4 month old kitty wasn't going to love it.  In fact once he got over his initial curiosity he went back to sleeping in his old spot on the chair.  That disappointed me but when he woke up he went back to the tree. Played all night and fell asleep on the top perch.  He wouldn't stop purring either.  It was so cute.