Cat Trees And Paint

BlackCatMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I’m new to this site, but I’m trying to gather up some information on making cat trees.

First of all, are there any paints that are specifically designed to be pet friendly? My kitties love scratching wood posts, but I’m afraid of the paint flaking off and causing any health issues.

Secondly, kitty safe glues? Any recommendations?

And last but not least, are there any woods I should avoid? That may sound a little paranoid, but I’d really like to cover all my bases.

Thank y’all in advance!

Madison

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlackCatMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I can figure out all these details, I will! Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Low VOC, for sure, but a Sherwin Williams or similar paint store could tell you, they're coming up with new things all the time.
Also a good lumber yard can help a lot, as could an ace hardware or true value on the glue. Good luck!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom - Is right, a decent hardware with lumber, etc store should be able to help. I use solvent free, low voc carpet glue. And let it air out for a few days in a well vented space.

Cover both the carpet backing and wood using disposable plastic putty knifes the stuff is thick and messy. Both surfaces for a strong bond so cats can beat the heck out of it.

Same goes with the wood, you don’t want wood that gives off strong gas from glue. Old repurposed wood wood be best. And you want a decent quality carpet because the work that goes into making them you want it to last.

I use clamps and wood to hold carpet firmly while it sets. Clamps and counter weights.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you just leave the wood unfinished? If you choose a nice looking type of wood that hasn't been treated with chemcials, it wouldn't look too bad in your home.

I'm sure you can find many DIY instructions online on how to make a cat tree yourself with pieces of wood from a hardware store or lumber yard or even pieces of real tree limbs found in the woods.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My late brother made our cat posts (they are now with my sister). He used ordinary wood and covered EVERY surface with either that thick rope or carpeting. Unless you have an infant cat who tends to chew, you can use ordinary materials. If you are buying new carpeting, ask for something with low de-gassing. Even the big box hardware stores will have carpet that is suitable at a low cost.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlackCatMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you just leave the wood unfinished? If you choose a nice looking type of wood that hasn't been treated with chemcials, it wouldn't look too bad in your home.

I'm sure you can find many DIY instructions online on how to make a cat tree yourself with pieces of wood from a hardware store or lumber yard or even pieces of real tree limbs found in the woods.
I can, I’m just wondering was my options are :)