Cat Tree: How to move upstairs, without help?

graphitepaddle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bought a 50 lb, 60" tall cat tree, and got out of the car, into house, and up the first landing of the steps.

Problem: It's too awkward to move up the steps without help.  If I pick up either end, the opposite end gets stuck.  But I want to be independent,, because it will not be my last tree or other large object to move up the stairs.  Any suggestions?

Thinking a hand truck w. large knobby tires (to grip the carpet).  Or is there is a better option?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most tool rental places have at least one stair creeper - usually just a few dollars for a 4 hour rental:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graphitepaddle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the rapid reply!

Good:

There is no easier option that I can imagine to move my cat tree

Westco seems like a good brand

Bad:

Nearest rental location is several hours away

Might not fit in my car

At 110 lbs, it wouldn't be easy to move once in the car

Bottom Line: It's a good fallback option, but I want a better one.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the rapid reply!

Good:

There is no easier option that I can imagine to move my cat tree

Westco seems like a good brand

Bad:

Nearest rental location is several hours away

Might not fit in my car

At 110 lbs, it wouldn't be easy to move once in the car

Bottom Line: It's a good fallback option, but I want a better one.

graphitepaddle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spent all last night trying to solve this, and found the following:
  • Cart-based solutions are the most practical, because a cart could also move heavy objects (e.g. 6' cat trees) on level ground
  • If you need to rest, while going up the stairs, or the cart slips, you risk damage not only to the tree, but also the wall of the house --> Safety precautions are needed such as blankets or empty boxes at the bottom of the stairs, to absorb impact from a runaway cat tree ... adding a safety strap between the top post & cat tree (similar to the safety harness) is also prudent
  • 2-wheel carts with wheels 10"+ diameter, are an option.  Smaller wheels are likely to get to stuck on individual stairs
  • Stair climbing carts are not as effective on level ground, and don't offer the control going down stairs as 2 large wheels, but appear the best for moving items up stairs
  •  looks like a good option among the stair climbing carts, but will not be available until mid-April
  • Enlisting a friend to help move the cat tree that is occupying my stairway, but I still want a cart for moving other cat trees, computers, etc., etc. for the next tree ... and there will be at least another cat tree

graphitepaddle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely.  And I would have been able to move something that light on my own, by getting behind it & push it up the stairs ... done it before.

But this tree was purchased at a cat show, and is partially covered by plastic wrap.

Since I won't be happy w. 3 trees, have to think of a long-term solution.  Also, maybe 1 floor for my next house? 

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I normally wrap a ratchet strap around it then push it up the stairs pulling on the strap to get the top of the box over the next step as I go... Probably not very safe though.

graphitepaddle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a slow process, which a killer for me since I get dizzy on the stairs, if I stand still or move slowly.

graphitepaddle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, but it's a good approach, which I haved before on other heavy objects.