Cat Tree Broken After Less than 12 Hours

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I have been really wanting a cat tree, but it looks like I won't be getting one as I can't afford an expensive one & now I don't want to buy one from e-bay.
I wouldn't let this discourage your ebay cat tree shopping, as many members have bought them and are more than happy with them. I would just say to examine the photo closely and whether or not all the levels have proper connections or supports. Everything on my tree that is screwed down in multiple places I'm more than satisfied with.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, lots of things are touch-and-go with ebay...I've received great stuff, and other "not so much" kinds of items. Sorry to hear the cat tree was shoddy, and I'm glad little Anya is safe! Do you know anyone who could build one for you from scratch?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your letter was appropriate. I would have also sent them a letter if i had been in your shoes. It is unacceptable for them to manufacture and sell a product that could put your animal's life in danger. I applaud you for bringing the defective product to the company's attention. I hope they are swift and appropriate with their response and offer you some sort of compromise. Good luck sweetie. I think you did the right thing by looking out for the best interest and safety of little Anya. She is lucky to have such a good meowmy!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got a response to my email from the company. I am not joking nor have I altered this email in any way. This is exactly what they replied:

Dear Emily,
Sorry to hear that. There is seldom customer complained such problem.
The instructions are attached for you to point out which parts are
need replace.
For the unstable connection. PLS don't need too deep when you screwed
"W3" into the "F" board connect "S", and then screw UPPER "S" into
"W3" tightly.
For the other problems, I will report to design department, hope they
could improve the products.
Thanks so much for your suggestion.

Best regards,

Jane
I may get them to send me a new top house, as that is the one the particle board ripped on. Other than that I'll just spruce it up myself with my trip to Home Depot.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could replace that particle board with plywood they may even be able to cut it for you at home depot, and putting carpet on a flat square piece wouldn't be that hard add an extra screw to, You really shouldn't have to do any of this really but just a suggestion.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

Just got a response to my email from the company. I am not joking nor have I altered this email in any way. This is exactly what they replied:

I may get them to send me a new top house, as that is the one the particle board ripped on. Other than that I'll just spruce it up myself with my trip to Home Depot.
That has got to be scary for Anya! I am glad she wasn't hurt.

The language from the company - its really odd!! Doesn't sound like english is their first language, or they are really lazy!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what ive learnt from T&K if your cats are heavier than usual, you should make your own cat tree! Because i dont think the store bought ones are stable enough for my kitties!

Teufel broke the first cat tree we bought from walmart but its ok as it was only €12 , and they have nearly broken the second one i bought for 80€ at the pet store!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

The language from the company - its really odd!! Doesn't sound like english is their first language, or they are really lazy!
I agree. It put me off a little that they responded in such an unprofessional manner when I worked so hard on MY letter. Not to mention I think its a serious situation.

If it were a human child gym or toy and this would have happened it would be much more serious. Heck, there are regulations and approvals that children toys and gyms have to go through. Cats are living animals. It really stinks that pet products are not regulated better.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm glad your kitty is ok. that is so scarey.

i don't really like ebay, so i probably won't be getting a tree off of there. you were definitely more restrained than i would have been. we don't have room for a big tree in our apartment, but i keep my eye out for cool designs. my DH wants to make one when we buy a house someday.
i've also heard good things about Dr Foster & Smith cat trees. i promised the kitties the giant playland one from them if we ever win the lottery.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent this response to the company earlier today:

Jane:

It's not a matter of a short screw, as you mentioned in this letter that you sent to me via ebay:
Dear Emily,
Sorry to hear that. The cat tree has six months warranty. The instructions are attached, PLS tell me which part is defective. PLS tell me which screw is short, so we can know what's going wrong. TKS!

Jane
It is a matter of your company expecting a piece of flimsy particle board to withstand the force and weight of a cat of any size jumping onto the platform attached to it with only ONE SCREW/BOLT. If nothing else, the top on part G should be made out of solid wood. I guess I just expected better quality for my money, but I suppose you get what you pay for. It is a pity that animal products are not regulated like those for children.

I would like to request a replacement of parts G, S (only one), and for additional W2's and V2's. Part G is the one that actually broke and the particle board basically crumbled at the connection.

I would like the parts shipped to the same address as the original product, and please include the same request for no signature required at delivery and to leave at the top of the stairs:

Emily
Address Here

Thank you for your response. Hopefully with these replacement parts and a trip to Home Depot to purchase additional supports for the top three platforms I can salvage this cat tree. Write me back if you need additional information.

Sincerely,

Emily

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How sad for poor Anya. Can you just imagine your playing to your little hearts content & having a blast when bam the floor falls out from under you. I can't imagine how scary that would have been to wake up. I've worken up to cats falling from the top of my closet (Don't ask they are nuts) and I know it takes a long time to be able to fall back to sleep. I hope the company at least give you replacement parts then you can reinforce as needed.