Cat toys that aren't cat toys

penstemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a new member and my cat doesn't usually play with cat toys, he prefers to hunt. Two months ago he swallow one those black plastic tie-on. Vet bill of over $500 and if he hadn't pass it the have been over $1,000. I am now very careful about small plastic objects.
My cat is a Bengal and been with use since he was 4 months old. He is not de-claw and has a temper.

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alley likes to get on top of the refrigerator and then pluck all the little fridge magnets off and I get to pick up the photos,etc. for my play. lol

Her latest obsession is the pushpins and to pull on them with her mouth and teeth until they come out of the wall.Then she swat them around the floor.First I was worried she might swallow one but I guess she got poked once so she does`nt really hold them in her mouth or chew on them.

Any roll of toilet paper I forget to put away is toast!Can`t even keep tp on the holder as she either shreds it or just unrolls the entire roll!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silva_unt

Favorite non-cat toy are pony tail holders!! She doesn't get tired of these. She fetches them or plays alone with them. She swats pens off tables but doesn't play with them. She also likes milk jug rings that you pull off. She likes bags and boxes, tissue paper, and wrapping paper (large pieces to pounce on or go under).
Be sure to keep track of the pony tail holders. A number of cats have had very serious surgeries to recover a bunch of them.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had to chase The Magpie down because she swiped my phone again. It appears to have survived the trauma of being rudely pulled from the desk and dragged about. She is just fascinated by the neck cord on the case and that cord is the reason I bought that case, much easier to pull the phone out of the case than a pocket

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 19 pound "orange guy", Taz, was always large for his age when he was a kitten.

When he was about a year old and still very active, I was working on something in the basement when I caught a movement in my peripheral vision.

He had my canvas pack of wrenches, 1/4" to 1/2" and was on his side, wrestling it, like he was killing a rat.

That's a real "big boy's toy", about half a pound of metal in a canvas cover.

I took it away from him and substituted something more appropriate.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

Milk rings! You know, the little plastic ring that the milk cap attaches to, but not the kind you peel off, it has to be the round ones. Those are Spookys favorite! Of course I watch him with them so he doesn't eat them...
These are also very popular in my house, too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bedweary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your fantastic responses. I had a feeling they would be good!

The strangest thing Iris has turned into a toy (so far) is a small pocket knife I keep on the desk for opening letters & packages and such. At first I thought it was just part of her knock-stuff-off-the-desk-to-get-Pop's-attention routine, but a couple of times she actually knocked it off and played cat hockey with it on the carpet. I had to start putting it in the drawer 'cause it's kind of heavy and if she knocked it off onto her paw, it might break a kitty toe. Meowch!

But as mrblanche said...
Be sure to keep track of the pony tail holders. A number of cats have had very serious surgeries to recover a bunch of them.
... and Penstemon's experience reinforces, please do be careful with the smaller items! I'd really hate to hear of anyone else's furry friend having to go to the vet to get their plumbing cleaned out. I imagine that would be a very unpleasant ordeal for both of you. Barry

BTW, I'm hiding my credit card. Could be a cat conspiracy in the works.

(Wait a minute...Iris just found a wooden clothes pin!?!...here we go again
)

valksy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My late tabbycat Artemis used to enjoy sitting on my desk and playing a game with me where i slide a coin towards her and she would bat it back. She was always quite dextrous and if I offered her a treat from a tub ir bag she could reach in and get them out herself quite neatly.

The 4 moggies I currently share my life with are suckers for proper cat toys (dismembered fabric mice are common finds) but anything that rolls is pretty much fair game. Found out to my cost that champagne corks are great fun and roll in interesting ways - especially when you put your foot on one in the dark and fall head over heels. I would like to think it was an accident and not a booby trap and that they don't have a scoreboard somewhere...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie loves to play with "Daddy's claws", a.k.a. guitar picks. He's not too interested in pens, but loves pencils.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The end of my blinds - all my cats love them and since the blinds are in my bedroom it's normally at about 4am that the cats start "Bat, Bat"