Cat tooth issue!

Amy2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Just noticed this today with my cat.. her tooth seems to have moved and is now holding up her top lip. Is this something that needs urgent attention or will it fall out? She seems happy, is purring, playing and eating okay. She is an older cat (13 +)
20220502_192123.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
See if the next time she opens her mouth if her lip will fall back to normal, where it's covering the tooth again.

This will be something to mention (and show) to the vet if it happens again, (I'm guessing it will) since that tooth could poke through her lip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amy2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its been like this day now. Thanks for your suggestion, I'll wait till she's had her breakfast tomorrow and see what happens. It looks as if its moved position :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you touch it? Is it wiggly? If you lift her lip can you see the gum and whether the tooth has broken?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As alluded earlier, this is something you should bring up with her vet because it can cause problems. Cat teeth are sharp and she can pierce her lip or gums. Is she missing any other canines (fangs)? And if the tooth is moving, there could be a problem beneath the gum line like resorption or infection that would also need to be addressed before it moves on to other teeth.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Google “feline orthodontic resorptive lesion”.
They are like kitty cavities, caused by their own immune system. It’s very common.
Dental issues can be serious. If left untreated, they can lead to heart problems as the infection travels through the bloodstream and can cause a buildup of histamine around the heart. Best to nip them in the bud, as they say.