Cat to human tapewrom transmission

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read that it is low risk that a cat can transmit tapeworm to a human. it says you would have to ingest a flea to get it. However, my kitten sits on my shoulder all day, so how hard would it be for a flea to jump in my mouth?

I am really worried about this. This is making me uncomfortable being around my own kitten.

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Am I correct in thinking from your post that you know your kitten has tapeworms? If so, why wouldn't you treat her, rather than worry about getting tapeworms yourself? Beside, if your cat has fleas, she is probably suffering terribly.

You're right - according to Petshed Petcyclopedia, it is difficult for humans to get tapeworms. But humans can and do get other infections from their cats, so why not play it safe!

You can buy flea and tapeworm medicine at the pet store if you can't afford to get it from the vet.

Best regards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had him for two weeks and he is too young to receive any treatment for fleas and ticks. 

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I didn't realize she was so young. Here's some information that may help:

Newborns need manual flea removal, but kittens over 4 weeks of age may be treated with Capstar (there is a minimum weight requirement). This application kills the adult fleas but not their offspring. Other medications list 8 weeks of age as a minimum and may also kill the offspring, but as always check with your vet before applying. Natural, homeopathic or essential oil treatments may also harm your kitten, so avoid using these.

You can go this site for more instructions:

http://www.petsadviser.com/pet-health/flea-medicine-for-kittens/

Best regards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can take him to the vet in the am for revolution he is 8 weeks almost. I am just paranoid and OCD and freaking out that I will get worms.