Cat Throwing Up or Regurgitating

vanillabuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. My cat has been throwing up for a while now. At first it was just hairballs. The vet came to check him and along with me telling her that his mood has been the same (eating fine, playing, chasing his brother around) she figured it was just that he was shedding his coat a lot with the change of the season and had a lot of hairballs to puke. Lately though he's started puking food, right by his food bowl or almost immediately after eating anyway. Not always, but often. I'm concerned so I started reading about it and saw that regurgitating is a thing. Should I be worried? I'm waiting for some slow feeders in the mail (they should arrive tomorrow) but I honestly get anxiety when I see him eating and I try to stop him from eating too much, if regurgitating is what's happening. I suppose I should just wait for the slow feeder and see, but I'm worried and I thought I would ask if anyone has experienced something like this. Especially on the heels of having puked a lot of hairballs for a few weeks. It had happened before but seldomly, not as often as it does now (every other day).

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.

Any vomiting in a cat is abnormal. It isn’t normal for a cat to vomit hairballs. A healthy cats GI should be able to handle hair.

Canned food is always better than dry food for cats, provided they eat it.

If he is regurging it happens quickly after eating, and without abdominal contractions.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat will sometimes throw up his food if he eats it too fast. Then he'll eat it again. I mean I don't have to clean it up. I think kteh slow feeders are a good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanillabuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both!